• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DisabledGeek89

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am currently 2835.21 USD in debt and I only make 500 a mouth from SSI of which I use a sizable chunk to pay house hold expenses and rent. The reason I got my credit cards to begin was to get a gaming PC but I got sidetracked buying other stuff beyond my means. My credit score is 757. My mental health does not allow me to work due to severe depression as well as my autism. I am considering buying the parts for my PC then filing for bankruptcy and paying friend some money to put it together. I have a few questions about this.

1. How badly will this affect my credit score, by how many points will it go down?
2. Can I even file for bankruptcy?
3. Is this a good idea or should I fight harder to get my SSI raised?
4. Is there a risk some of my stuff might get reposed? As I really don't want this to happen.
5. I plan on starting a business down the road in a few years how long would it take me to recover my credit for getting a business loan?

Last edited:

doucar

Your credit score could drop 300 points give or take.
You could, but why would you you are judgment proof, meaning all your property appears to be exempt from creditors.
SSI is what it is,
If you have stuff that is security for any debts, it could be repossessed, but if it isn't, you won't
3-4 years, your income (ability to repay) would be more critical than your credit score.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">