• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions About Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmlee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

We just relocated here from Maryland and we signed a 2yr lease and have a few questions about what is enforceable.

We paid a deposit of one months rent and landlord says that the first $250 of that is non-refundable for cleaning. I always thought that sec deposits were only to be used for damages? Also, the cleaning requirements upon moving out are pretty extensive...why would I do all that if he is going to automatically deduct it anyway? Especially since they don't seem to worry about it too much...the house had not been cleaned at all before we moved in...even toilets were dirty - it was disgusting.

Second question: he also stipulates that WE are responsible for the first $200 in ANY repairs. Also that he will not be held liable for any damage occurring to our property in the event of water damage, roof coming in, etc.

I'm beginning to think that I should see someone at the housing office. We just signed this 2wks ago and haven't gone through the walk-thru with him yet...hopefully will be able to make any necessary changes to the lease at that point. Thanks for reading!
Laura

Last edited:

MIRAKALES

The point of negotiation was removed when the lease agreement was signed and delivered. Unless the LL agrees to lease modification after signing (which is not likely), tenant is responsible for all the terms and conditions therein. However, lease terms and conditions which violate state law are not enforceable. In addition, prior to move-in tenant should have requested that the premises were cleaned and sanitized to reasonable standards before accepting the premises. The other terms are not uncommon, such as a cleaning fee, repair deductibles, damage to tenant’s personal property, etc. Purchase renter’s insurance to insure personal possessions from theft and damage claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">