• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about renter's insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pirategirl68

What is the name of your state? Ca
I was recently a victim of a home invasion robbery. My friend that was visiting was asleep on the couch and was pistol whipped and tied up. Luckily I have security cameras, so i have video footage of the outside and of the suspects. My question is: what does a person do if they don't agree with the settlement amount of the claim? They matter-of-factly sent me a letter with their findings and I don't agree at all with the amount. Throughout this whole process they have treated my guest and I like the suspects and have dragged this out for a long time. Then TELL me what they are going to pay and that's it. What do I do from here? Thanks for any replies and help you can give me. I really appreciate it.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Ca
I was recently a victim of a home invasion robbery. My friend that was visiting was asleep on the couch and was pistol whipped and tied up. Luckily I have security cameras, so i have video footage of the outside and of the suspects. My question is: what does a person do if they don't agree with the settlement amount of the claim? They matter-of-factly sent me a letter with their findings and I don't agree at all with the amount. Throughout this whole process they have treated my guest and I like the suspects and have dragged this out for a long time. Then TELL me what they are going to pay and that's it. What do I do from here? Thanks for any replies and help you can give me. I really appreciate it.
If they have covered the depreciated cost of anything that you lost due to the invasion, and covered any medical bills for your guest, then they have fully compensated you. Without details of what you disagree with, that is all the advice you can get.

You could get a consult with a local attorney if you feel like the matter is worth paying for an attorney's time.

adjusterjack

what does a person do if they don't agree with the settlement amount of the claim?
You'll have to provide a lot more detail. What was the date of the home invasion. What did you and your friend claim, under what coverage did you claim it, how much money was involved (talk dollars and categories), how much did the insurance pay (again dollars and categories), and was there an explanation of the payment. Please have your actual renters policy handy when you respond.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">