• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions - questions - questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lee860

my wife has decided to leave me. she wants to take our boys(ages 3 & 8).in the state of Maryland, you must be separated for 1 year before you can file for divorce. is there anything that i can do now to prevent her from just taking the kids?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I think you're thinking that Divorce, Separation, and Custody are connected. Well, to some degree they are. However, in the latter instance, you don't have to wait until you've been separated for the entire year before issues concerning custody are settled.

If you feel that your separation is imminent, you can file a Petition concerning custody, immediately.

Get yourself a Family Law attorney immediately, and have the Petition papers "ready to go" for filing, and personal service on your wife via phone call to your attorney, the moment your wife tries to leave with the children.

Don't take the law into your own hands - - you let the court decide.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">