• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maxx

What is the name of your state? CA

I have a few questions regarding bankruptcy. I recently had a car repossessed and it had roughly $20,000 left on the loan. At this point I probably have no other choice since I'm sure it'll get auctioned off at a much lower cost. I also have a few other little things as well on my credit. Now does bankruptcy affect checking accounts? Because I still need to maintain one once this is all done.

Also, I have a speeding ticket in another state that I refuse to pay. It's about $700 and I've tried legally to contest it, but to no avail. Does the bankruptcy affect this at all? For example, if I had a warrant in that state for not paying the ticket . . . .

And how does a debt collector find out that you have declared bankruptcy and what do they generally do about it?

Your help is much appreciated.

bigun

Bk will affect a banking relationship if you're trying to open a new account and they run a cerdit check. If you have a bank account open now, keep it in good shape. They'll not bother you-unless! THe auto you had repoed was financed at this bank. Then, expect them to preform an offset on any money in your account.

A creditor will find out about the bk when they receive a notice from the bk trustee granting you an automatic stay on any collection or legal proceedings.

Have no idea about the ticket.

M

MikeyButters

ticket

Im pretty sure you cannot list department of public saftey on your bk filing. That prolly falls under IRS, student loans area...... My GF had a ticket from another state that she tried to pay and the office moved. two years later that ticket surfaced and her licence was revoked for one year! for some stupid speeding ticket in BFE Louisiana. we live in texas btw ;)
I would get that ticket situation fixed as soon as you can. having you licence revoked for a year is a real pain in the behind.
anyways good luck,
Mikey

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">