• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Va

My wife and I got hit in the rear about 18 months ago by state trooper. She has been attending therapy for the time since then and we are now working on a settlement with the state for pain and suffering. The question is have is: I turned all of the medical bills over to my med coverage on my insurance right away. Does the states insurance owe me all of the money for the medical bills back? I don't have to pay the insurance company back since it was my coverage I used and was allowed to. The state is completly at fault and never contested it. Should I ask for the amount of medical bills in addition to the pain and suffering settlement?


Senior Member
Your insurance company is due for compensation for the bills, not you. You will be reimbursed for out of pocket expenses only. And don't be surprised if your insurance company comes looking for reimbursement later. They are aware that the claims were a result of an auto accident that was not the fault of their policy holder?


Junior Member

Yes, they know it wasn't our fault. I had 5 thousand dollars of med coverage and I used it to cover the medical bils until the state came around. Now, My insurance says that I had the right to invoke that coverage Like I did and nobody has to pay them back for anything because the coverage is set up to pay medical bills for us. I used it to keep down the hassle of the bills until the state got situated on the case. Now the question is...........the state is still liable for those figures bacause they are 100 percent at fault??? And should the state pay me the equivilent of the med bills? Since I used my insurance to pay it and the insurance does not want reimbursed, should the state get off scott free on those figures?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential