• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just be aware that under NO circumstances do you have the right to be told what action was taken to discipline another employee. The fact that they did not have you write a statement has no bearing with whether the guy in your first sentence was reprimanded or not. Nothing requires them to get a written statement from you before they can take action.

quincy

She has said the n word to me “playfully” in the past and i have 3 co workers who have heard her use it in a derogatory way. Is that not enough grounds?
If you told her you did not like that language, and she continued (or others continued) to use the same language, that potentially is good grounds for an EEOC complaint.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She has said the n word to me “playfully” in the past and i have 3 co workers who have heard her use it in a derogatory way. Is that not enough grounds?
I couldn't say - only the person deciding your matter can say. I am just pointing out that you would need to show that the reason you were denied promotion was the color of your skin. That will be harder because she is free to promote her friends over you just because they are her friends.

I couldn't say - only the person deciding your matter can say. I am just pointing out that you would need to show that the reason you were denied promotion was the color of your skin. That will be harder because she is free to promote her friends over you just because they are her friends.
Gotcha makes sense

Understood

Just be aware that under NO circumstances do you have the right to be told what action was taken to discipline another employee. The fact that they did not have you write a statement has no bearing with whether the guy in your first sentence was reprimanded or not. Nothing requires them to get a written statement from you before they can take action.
Ok that makes sense

quincy

Were the derogatory comments made in the workplace and/or related to work, or were they made after hours in some other context?
The behavior and language of employees and supervisors/managers/employers were carried into the workplace, making for a hostile work environment.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The behavior and language of employees and supervisors/managers/employers were carried into the workplace, making for a hostile work environment.
I'm not convinced of that - but the OP's writings seem disjointed to me. You're probably right

quincy

... You're probably right
Or wrong. :)

I thought you were asking me about the EEOC cases I linked to.

I don't know enough in maryanperry's situation to say if there is a claim with merit. I just see the derogatory language being used as potentially a better claim than the promotions.

Last edited:

quincy

The use of the N word certainly is a potential support for a claim.
Yes. It has supported claims in the past. But all facts will need a personal review to determine if a similar claim can be made here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">