• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hi. I have been working for this company for a total of 5 years. 2 with the temp and 3 from being hired on. Within the first few months I had a guy joke about my scarf being a noose. I reported it thinking that they would reprimand him but they claim they wrote him up which I’m not sure I believe bc never once did they have me write a statement. I’m trying to make this as short as possible. It’s so much. I was the only black girl in the office for a very long time up until recently. My boss has said nigger to me on the phone while drunk playfully but I still didn’t appreciate it. I have multiple people who have told me she has said it around them in a derogatory way outside of work. I have been here longer than everyone in the office except for 1 other person. Guess who gets promoted? Not me. 3 people who have been here way less than me. I wasn’t trained like they were trained either. There have been jokes about Mexicans and building a border. Managers out in the warehouse have found bags of ice and gave it back to a white employee and never reported it but as soon as a black person smells like weed immediate drugs test and firing on the spot. I feel humiliated. I also have a hearing problem idk if that has anything to do with it. I just don’t know what to do. I haven’t reached out to hr bc i feel like there is no point as there are no black peoples in corporate. Someone please give me advice. Oh and one more thing, the people who were promoted have outside relationships with my boss. She is bffs with one guys boyfriend and she is good friends with the other girls dad. Oh and I tried to get my gay guy friend a job here and i was told he didn’t look like he could handle it bc he was gay but now look it! Everyone in the office is gay and white except for me and a Hispanic girl. Someone please tell me what to do?!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You ignored the question about your state.

You need to first deal with HR and see what happens. You can also make an EEOC complaint.

Any relatively large company should have procedures in place for these types of complaints.

Eekamouse

Hi. I have been working for this company for a total of 5 years. 2 with the temp and 3 from being hired on. Within the first few months I had a guy joke about my scarf being a noose. I reported it thinking that they would reprimand him but they claim they wrote him up which I’m not sure I believe bc never once did they have me write a statement. I’m trying to make this as short as possible. It’s so much. I was the only black girl in the office for a very long time up until recently. My boss has said nigger to me on the phone while drunk playfully but I still didn’t appreciate it. I have multiple people who have told me she has said it around them in a derogatory way outside of work. I have been here longer than everyone in the office except for 1 other person. Guess who gets promoted? Not me. 3 people who have been here way less than me. I wasn’t trained like they were trained either. There have been jokes about Mexicans and building a border. Managers out in the warehouse have found bags of ice and gave it back to a white employee and never reported it but as soon as a black person smells like weed immediate drugs test and firing on the spot. I feel humiliated. I also have a hearing problem idk if that has anything to do with it. I just don’t know what to do. I haven’t reached out to hr bc i feel like there is no point as there are no black peoples in corporate. Someone please give me advice. Oh and one more thing, the people who were promoted have outside relationships with my boss. She is bffs with one guys boyfriend and she is good friends with the other girls dad. Oh and I tried to get my gay guy friend a job here and i was told he didn’t look like he could handle it bc he was gay but now look it! Everyone in the office is gay and white except for me and a Hispanic girl. Someone please tell me what to do?!
I don't see how your long term employment entitled you to a promotion or that you haven't been given one because of your skin color.

You ignored the question about your state.

I am in Ga and should I do either or
You need to first deal with HR and see what happens. You can also make an EEOC complaint.

Any relatively large company should have procedures in place for these types of complaints.
I don't see how your long term employment entitled you to a promotion or that you haven't been given one because of your skin color.
so what do you think?

quincy

so what do you think?
You first need to make your employer aware of the problems you have experienced so the employer has the chance to address and correct them.

If there are no improvements (e.g., if the derogatory comments and disparate treatment continue), you can file an EEOC complaint and consult with an attorney in your area.

I think you have legitimate complaints.

You first need to make your employer aware of the problems you have experienced so the employer has the chance to address and correct them.

If there are no improvements (e.g., if the derogatory comments and disparate treatment continue), you can file an EEOC complaint and consult with an attorney in your area.

Ok i will address my concerns

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not as confident about it. It's just as easy to say (and more provable) that the manager gave promotions, etc., to her friends because they were her friends (not illegal), as it is to say that the OP was passed over for promotion based upon her race (illegal).

quincy

I'm not as confident about it. It's just as easy to say (and more provable) that the manager gave promotions, etc., to her friends because they were her friends (not illegal), as it is to say that the OP was passed over for promotion based upon her race (illegal).
The comments that have been made are what I see as potential support for a claim rather than the promotions.

What are you not confident about? Just trying to understand what exactly you mean. Could you elaborate?
t

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What are you not confident about? Just trying to understand what exactly you mean. Could you elaborate?
I mean that it's not illegal for the boss to promote her friends because they are her friends. You would have to prove that the reason that you were not promoted is because you are black, and not because your boss wanted to promote her friends because they are her friends.

I mean that it's not illegal for the boss to promote her friends because they are her friends. You would have to prove that the reason that you were not promoted is because you are black, and not because your boss wanted to promote her friends because they are her friends.

She has said the n word to me “playfully” in the past and i have 3 co workers who have heard her use it in a derogatory way. Is that not enough grounds?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">