• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick, easy divorce, diy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AimeeM

My husband and I have been separated for about 13 years. We have no assets together. There is already a child support order in place, we just need to file for divorce. He will wave his right to travel to Texas (from Tn) for the hearing. Can I just file the paperwork myself, without an attorney? If so, where would I start?

Just Blue

My husband and I have been separated for about 13 years. We have no assets together. There is already a child support order in place, we just need to file for divorce. He will wave his right to travel to Texas (from Tn) for the hearing. Can I just file the paperwork myself, without an attorney? If so, where would I start?
Were you legally separated? ..or just not living together?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Start by reading the rules of procedure and educating yourself on the forms you need to file. The forum volunteers are not able to walk you through it. An attorney you hire however can.

Last edited by a moderator:

AimeeM

You start with your local family court's website which should have forms and instructions and a self-help section.

What county are you in?

I'll look it up for you.
Galveston county. Thank you.
Start by reading the rules of procedure and educating yourself on the forms you need to file. The forum volunteers are not able to walk you through it. An attorney you hire however can.
i don’t need my hand held, I just needed to know where to start. Thanks for you input tho.

zddoodah

Can I just file the paperwork myself, without an attorney?
We have no way of knowing whether or not you have this ability. If your intent was to ask if you are legally required to hire an attorney, the answer is no.

If so, where would I start?
Not quite sure what you're asking. Sounds like you're asking for a step-by-step "how to" guide. If that's what you're asking, that's way beyond the scope of an internet message board. I suggest you check your local court's website for any self-help materials. There are also "divorce for dummies" type books.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">