• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

quit claim deed property and insurance claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krlorenz

I live in North Dakota. I quit claimed my house to my children. The house was recently damaged by fire. I am working with the insurance company to restore or settle. Do they have to know it has been quit claimed and who should get the settlement if that is what the insurance company proposes?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in North Dakota. I quit claimed my house to my children. The house was recently damaged by fire. I am working with the insurance company to restore or settle. Do they have to know it has been quit claimed and who should get the settlement if that is what the insurance company proposes?
Was the document recorded?
The owner of record of the house should get any settlement. In fact, at this point it would seem that you may be committing insurance fraud...

adjusterjack

Doesn't matter. Ownership changed and you concealed that fact from the insurance company. All you are now is a tenant. If you accept a check from the insurance company in your name that's insurance fraud. I suggest you call your insurance agent right now and see if the insurance company will endorse the policy over to your children as of the deed date so the claim can be paid to them.

Right now there may technically be no coverage on the house because of the concealed change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">