• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit claim deeds and who pays off mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hideyho1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IOWA

My late husband conveyed property he owned in Iowa to his neice. He still owes on the mortgage and I had intended to pay it off with the life insurance proceeds, so that she would have title to the property free and clear.

The problem is I have subsequently discovered I am not listed as a beneficiary on the policy (something he had intended to do) and don't have the money to pay it. The mortgage loan and original deed was in his name, as he had acquired this property before our marriage.

The attorney who drew up the quit claim deed said I had to sign it as well, even though I didn't legally own the property.

Am I as his survivng spouse obligated in any way to make further mortgage payments on this property? I am a resident of NC, but this property is in Iowa. Thanks is advance for any advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nextwife

NO, you are not obligated.

If niece wants to not lose her free house, she needs to refinance in her name before the lender finds out, OR just keep paying the mortgage in time and take her chances.

FlyingRon

Who is the beneficiary on the life insurance?
If the niece is, then she obviously has the means to pay.
If no beneficiary is listed, then the money goes to the estate to pay off the debt and provided there aren't other debts, then things are good.
If some other person is listed, then you are in trouble. Nextwife's description is accurate.

Hideyho1

I'm not exactly sure who the beneficiary(s) are, as I have not received the paperwork from the insurance company to file a claim for benefits. However, I did locate a designation he made in 2001 and if this is the most current one, the neice is to receive 60%.

His insurance is through Federal Employees Group Life Insurance, which is through the Office of Personnel Management. Would anyone know if I am privy to ascertain who the beneficiaries are?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">