• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Claim Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Scenario: Ex husband owes back child support. For the past two weeks, I'd been working on (1) finding out the whereabouts of my ex (2) researching Colorado's child support laws i.e. no statute of limitations, Doctrine of Laches, etc.

Based on my ex's history of staying below the radar and being hard to find, I also started researching public documents for western slope counties (where I'd heard he was currently living) to try to find my ex's current address.

After a lot of research through public documents, I found his current address. I also found out that my ex and his new wife purchased property in both of their names after they were married. They've owned this property in both of their names for two plus years.

So, I began trying to get as much info together to file for back child support and/or a judgement lien on the property if he is unwilling to pay the back child support. Two days ago, I went back to these public documents for a legal description of their property and I found out that four days earlier, my ex and his current wife quit claimed the property out of both of their names and put it in her name only. I hate to have a paranoid reaction, but based on his history of paying child support for one year out of the 18 he should have, I must admit, I became suspicious. I have discussed with no one except forum members on the child support piece of this site that I was planning on trying to collect the past child support. No names were used, no locations, no identifying info was used in my discussions with Free Advice/child support.

It appears, at first glance, to me, that I am SOL as far as filing a lien on this property for past due child support. But on second/third etc glance, I began wondering, hmmmmm?
is that really the case.

So . . . what am I Not seeing?

Here are my questions: (1) What reasons are there for quit claiming property of a substantial value over to one spouse by both spouses when that property was acquired as marital property?

(2) Can the recent quit claim from ex and his wife to only his wife be seen in court as ex's attempt to avoid (again) paying the past due cs?

One reason I've heard about for this kind of quit claim action is that sometimes in a refinance when only one spouse is working, a lending institution will demand that the quit claim be done into the working spouse's name only. This seems kind of shakey since in Colorado all property acquired during the marriage is considered "marital property" and subject to a 50/50 split upon divorce.

Thanks very much for any advice/insights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential