• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Job Seeking Unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justice7

CA

A couple of days before my first month at work, I quit my job because I got yelled at for the first time for no reason. But this was just because if finally the yelling happens to me, I'd quit. The main reasons were:

1. Sexual Harassment.
My co-worker experienced this the whole first 3 weeks of work. She's been in the company now for almost 2 months. It involved touching, grabbing her chest, touching her inner thighs, kissing, etc. At one point during my first week, the employer attempted once and caressed my butt. Although I'm not clear why he never attempted again.

2. Promise to Provide a Large Computer Monitor.
I work as a designer which entitles me to a large screen because of the nature of the job. My 13" screen was the smallest I've ever had. Employer kept promising on numerous occasions but never fulfilled it.

3. Racist Remarks.
My ex employer is French and I don't know if his inability to speak English perfectly has something to do with the impression we get from his speeches. During meetings and every so often he decides to detonate his mine field, he throws racial comments and give racist jokes at the expense of his workers.

4. Illegal Workers Not Getting Paid for Weeks, Even More Than a Month.
It's delicate enough as it is that this employer hires illegals (sewers), but not paying them for weeks is a blatant display of abuse and not only breaking federal laws but also human and moral standards.

5. We almost don't have office supplies from pens to folders, and we're about 20 corporate employees combined, not including cutters, sewers and shipping. We had to bring necessary materials from home just to get the job done.

6. We do not have safe drinking water, only faucet. We had to buy our own.

7. Favoritism.
In-your-face, unusual preference for this new girl's whims. We were teaching her things at first but on her third week at work, she became everyone's boss.

8. Unreasonable indiscreet sermons and yelling on a daily basis. It's demeaning and disturbs others doing their work.

When I was hired I thought the place was heaven because it's a 3-story building full of beautiful furniture...really high-end. But evil lurks.

I'm not sure if this entitles me for unemployment. But if not for all his lies and abuse, I would still be working and have a source of income during these hard times. There has to be justice somewhere.

Your kind help and advise will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Since you took no action prior to quitting to address the harassing and offensive behavior, it is unlikely you will get unemployment.

Since when is it not safe to drink water from the sink? You're not in mexico (and if you are, we can't help you anyway).

justice7

Every single issue above were raised except for the sexual harassment. As for water, it's all over the news and documentaries how unsafe it is. I've never heard of a company that offers water only from the faucet.

Would really appreciate some sound advice, thanks so much.

Last edited:

ecmst12

City water is safe to drink most everywhere in this country, it's the law. They don't have to provide bottled or filtered water for you.

You really should have asked for advice BEFORE you quit. You can file for unemployment, but your chances are not too good, IMO.

Oh, and your #2, 5, 7, and 8 are also perfectly legal. #4 is not legal but not your business and not a valid reason for YOU to quit.

Last edited:

commentator

Go on and file for your unemployment benefits. If I were you, I would try to isolate one issue which you believe is the strongest and say this was the reason you quit your job. Because the question they are going to ask is "Why did you quit your job?" And the next question they will ask is "what did you do to resolve this problem before you quit? What were you told or what action was taken by the employer due to your complaint?"

In order to be approved for benefits, you must be determined to have a GOOD job related (not personal) reason for quitting the job. If you throw in all these little b.s. reasons like "the employer made a racist comment" and "we couldn't get him to give us bigger computer screens" and "they hired illegals." This has nothing to do why YOU quit your job. This is called the "kitchen sink" argument, with too many petty complaints, no major reason. It would be sort of useless to include "no drinking fountain" in this. Hint: I do not think this is going to be considered a good job related reason to quit a job, as you could have brought yourself water from home.

The only half good reason to quit the job that I can see is that you saw others being subjected to sexual harrassment, and you yourself were subjected to sexual harrassment, you talked to the boss about this...and it did not stop. Other than this, there were about fifteen other reasons why you hated this job, none of which were really terrible enough in and of themselves to give you a good reason to quit.

Unemployment is not a needs based program. It is not given to you because of how badly you need it or how long you have been working. It is based solely on losing your job through no fault of your own. If conditions were so bad you had to quit, they have to be really bad. The unemployment office will determine if they think this is one of those cases.

jsmith416

You admit you quit your job therefor the burden of proof is on you to show why you needed to do this.

Of the reasons you listed the only one I could possibly see as giving you good cause might be the harassment in which case you need to show that you went through company channels in an attempt to resolve the issue or that the available company channels were so hostile as to prohibit any sort of fair hearing or that there were no company channels available.

Nothing else you listed appears to warrant good cause for you to quit your job and expect to receive unemployment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">