• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit job to take care of Daughter. now she is kicking us out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

igotago

What is the name of your state?washington

Long Story: Daughter involved in accident at 17 awarded 26 million dollar judgement, she is paralyzed and must have 24x7 care. Her mother has cared for her past 5 years. Daughter bought a 2 million dollar house and moved family into it. Daughter demanded father quit job to help take care of her. He had 15 years , lost his pension and his insurance for family. Daughter is now kicking them out of house. Is there any legal recourse? All of this was verbal. As a friend I warned them to get an attorney involved to protect themselves, but they didn't.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Long Story: Daughter involved in accident at 17 awarded 26 million dollar judgement, she is paralyzed and must have 24x7 care. Her mother has cared for her past 5 years. Daughter bought a 2 million dollar house and moved family into it. Daughter demanded father quit job to help take care of her. He had 15 years , lost his pension and his insurance for family. Daughter is now kicking them out of house. Is there any legal recourse? All of this was verbal. As a friend I warned them to get an attorney involved to protect themselves, but they didn't.
It sounds to me as if the daughter is an adult who has the financial and intellectual means to ensure that she is properly cared for. Dad will need to move and find new employment.

Just Blue

The Daughter "demanded" he quit his job? How did she demand him to do that? Why would she do that if her mother was already caring for her? What reason did Daughter give to her parents for kicking them out of her home?

zddoodah

Daughter involved in accident at 17 awarded 26 million dollar judgement
I assume that, beyond obtaining a judgment, she also collected some or all of the judgment. Correct?

I assume there are no longer any issues with the fact that, at the time of the accident, the daughter was a minor. Correct?

How old is the daughter now?

Daughter demanded father quit job to help take care of her.
Demanded? You meant that she asked and he agreed, right?

He had 15 years , lost his pension and his insurance for family.
A somewhat understandable, if not foolish, decision on his part. Why did he do that without obtaining any sort of written agreement from his daughter to compensate him for these losses?

Is there any legal recourse?
Legal recourse for what? While this might be a really <bleepy> thing for the daughter to do, as far as I can tell from your post, no legal wrong has occurred here.

The daughter's parents are her tenants and, since there is apparently no written lease of any sort, the tenancy is terminable at will.

All of this was verbal.
All of what was verbal? If there was a verbal agreement for the daughter to provide her parents with anything other than a place to live in exchange for the caregiving, it might be enforceable.

As a friend I warned them to get an attorney involved to protect themselves, but they didn't.
It's unfortunate that they didn't do as you suggested.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

While a bit late to solve anything now, Father needs to learn a new word. That word is, No.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

While a bit late to solve anything now, Father needs to learn a new word. That word is, No.
I suspect that "demanded" isn't the right word, but was chosen based upon the OP's particular view of the matter. I suspect that dad knew that daughter had plenty of money to support him and willingly (even gleefully) agreed to the suggestion. Things change over the years and the daughter has grown weary of the arrangement.

To be fair, I can see the allure...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">