• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quitter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t_p_us

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello, I've been going through a custody battle with my ex for a little over a year now. The entire divorce from start to finish has been about about two years. As of right now, it's a typical case of the ex using the child against the other ex because the other has moved on and now has a girlfriend that the ex is jealous of . . . .

I'm at a point where I just want to throw in the towel. I can't afford the lawyer anymore and am calling her bluff. For her to keep my son away from me and my family . . .I just wouldn't understand that. As much as I don't like her at the moment, I would never do that to my ex. My son and I have a very good bond. It's not like I abanded him, maybe the marriage, but not him. I pay my child support every time and on time. The thing is that I only get him for two hours a week. It's sad.

I'm trying to move on, but I feel like she hides behind her lawyer and the courts. I feel like if I just threw in the towel, she wouldn't have anything or anyone to threaten me with. Although, at the same time, I would feel like I am abandoning my son. I'm just tired is all.

Humusluvr

Hello, I've been going through a custody battle with my ex for a little over a year now. The entire divorce from start to finish has been about about two years. As of right now, it's a typical case of the ex using the child against the other ex because the other has moved on and now has a girlfriend that the ex is jealous of . . . .

I'm at a point where I just want to throw in the towel. I can't afford the lawyer anymore and am calling her bluff. For her to keep my son away from me and my family . . .I just wouldn't understand that. As much as I don't like her at the moment, I would never do that to my ex. My son and I have a very good bond. It's not like I abanded him, maybe the marriage, but not him. I pay my child support every time and on time. The thing is that I only get him for two hours a week. It's sad.

I'm trying to move on, but I feel like she hides behind her lawyer and the courts. I feel like if I just threw in the towel, she wouldn't have anything or anyone to threaten me with. Although, at the same time, I would feel like I am abandoning my son. I'm just tired is all.
If your son is worth it, and I pray he is - don't quit. Time heals all wounds, and when you get your visitation order, follow it to the T.

Best of luck!

LdiJ

I can understand you being tired. However, at the same time if you love your son you should NOT give up. You might want to rethink where things stand in the whole situation.

Isis1

i've been in your shoes. trust me, i know the feeling. i cried, i was exhausted, i was tired of being made to feel i wasn't doing everything for my kids if i didn't go back to the abusive relationship as i was told by the father's family and friends. i contemplated leaving the state and never contacting anyone every again. i pretty much drank myself silly among other things. i was the NCP at the time. then my son told me that daddy said i didn't love him anymore. something made me so angry i had to prove him wrong. and i did. i rode a bus everyday (2 hours) to pick him up from school, spend a few hours with him and his brother, i filed for custody in the meantime. i got a temp visitation schedule almost mirroring the status quo schedule. the whole process was a little over a year. i now have custody. my goal is still to prove that POS he's a liar. everyday. i love my kids. and i will do anything and everything to make sure they know it. even when it means they don't get to watch TV because they didn't finish their homework, and when they can't play with friends for being disrespectful. they may not know it now, but when they are grown with their own families, they will remember. and that's all that matters to me.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">