• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quoting a book's paragraph in a blog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Alabama
I want to quote a paragraph from a book in a blog. The book isn't PD. Should I just quote and cite like I was taught in high school?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Alabama
I want to quote a paragraph from a book in a blog. The book isn't PD. Should I just quote and cite like I was taught in high school?
The book, the length of your quote (and its significance in the book), and your use of the quote on your blog can make a difference in whether your use of the book material can be seen as a "fair use" of the copyrighted text or infringement on the rights of the author/publisher, and whether it could lead to other legal issues for you.

Very generally speaking, quoting small portions of copyright-protected text for the purpose of commentary or criticism is okay under the fair use doctrine. Attributing the source of the quote as you did in high school is, in that case, all you need to do.

It is important to note that "fair use" is not permission to use copyrighted works but rather an affirmative defense to the use, should a copyright holder take exception to your use and decide to sue.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">