• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quoting Dead People

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Discotrish

I'm putting together a book of humorous essays, and I'd like to quote some dead people on my back cover. (You know how hard is to get a "blurb" from the living!) I'm not worried about defaming them, but I AM worried that perhaps people who own their estates would find cause to sue, since the dead people in question would be "endorsing" my book.

I plan to clearly identify this as fictitious, but I don't want to fight a lawsuit. How does that stand legally? Does it matter how long the person has been dead? (ie quoting Mark Twain vs quoting more recently deceased Erma Bombeck) I plan to make up the quotes. It would sort of be a parody of the traditional back cover quote tradition.

Patti in FLORIDA

JETX

Talk with your publishers legal staff. Those that are clearly parodies or satirical would be protected, while those not, could be actionable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">