• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Race Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hojn

What is the name of your state? fl

My daughter who is a HS senior is involved in a program at school where the students have to get finger printed and are asked their race in order to do volunteer work at area hospitals. My child forget to put down her race and height and received a zero which accounts for 30% of her grade.

Question: By law is she required to include her race? If not, does anyone know what the statute is that makes forcing people to fill out race questions illegal?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm not sure how that would help - even if she had answered the question, she forgot to put in her height - which would have still given her a zero.

P

Plantinga

What kind of school needs to know a person's race (or religion, creed, sexual orientation) in order to perform VOLUNTEER work?

That seems a little discriminatory to me.

Have you contacted an attorney?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Perhaps a school whose volunteer program is required to fill out EEOC reports?

JETX

"By law is she required to include her race?"
*** No.

"If not, does anyone know what the statute is that makes forcing people to fill out race questions illegal?"
*** It isn't illegal. No one said it was. This is simply a matter of a teacher or school telling a student to follow the rules and the students inability or failure to do so. She is 'punished' by getting a low grade. The law has nothing to do with this.

dequeendistress

My child brought home a survey for the school it stated that you list what age, what language is used in the home and what race the child is....

common question(race), but should not be a required answer.

JETX

"but should not be a required answer."
*** And why not?? And who said ANYTHING about it being REQUIRED and by whom?? Like my post said, this is no different than a student not turning an assignment in, not doing homework, or not completing an assigned task. The students grade on that assignment is adjusted. The LAW has nothing to do with this!!

P

Plantinga

I still view it as a discriminatory act.
Sure, I can see the "disobedience" involved but it still remains, the child, nor anyone else needs to disclose their race unless a census is being taken. (I find even that a little offensive as well).

dequeendistress

I said the "required to answer" because within the scope of my job we ask race but we also have a disclaimer that the question is optional and for statiscal purposes.

Sorry I was not inferring that the posters question was warranted by law.

Just making an example, not intending on being one

Last edited:

JETX

"I still view it as a discriminatory act."
*** Okay, then get about $10,000 together and go find a local attorney.....
Indignation is cheap, doing something about it costs money.

dequeendistress

there is also a difference in forgetting to answer or not reading instructions

and refusing to answer based on civil rights or racial issue.

Plantinga's first post

"My child forget to put down her race and height and received a zero which accounts for 30% of her
grade."

so how can it be discrimination if the answer was not provided.

JETX

"Did I miss something?"
*** Yes. You 'missed' that this was a simple matter of your daughter NOT following directions and was NOT discriminated against. And rather than accept the fact that your daughter 'forgot', you tried to find some way for her to be a victim.

P

Plantinga

I hate to be the one to break it to you people, but this post is NOT mine.
Look:
Originally Posted by:hojn
What is the name of your state? fl

My daughter who is a HS senior is involved in a program at school where the students have to get finger printed and are asked their race in order to do volunteer work at area hospitals. My child forget to put down her race and height and received a zero which accounts for 30% of her grade.

Question: By law is she required to include her race? If not, does anyone know what the statute is that makes forcing people to fill out race questions illegal?

*** I just wanted to clarify that I am not the one asking on any child's behalf.
My kids know how to follow directions.

Regards,
Plantinga

JETX

You're correct. My post was based on the assumption that you were the original poster.... and that was my mistake. And rather than go back and edit my post (and confuse the issue), I offer my edited post here.

""Did I miss something?"
*** Yes. You 'missed' that this was a simple matter of the writers daughter NOT following directions and was NOT discriminated against. And rather than accept the fact that the writers daughter 'forgot', you apparently tried to find some way for her to be a victim by saying "I still view it as a discriminatory act".

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">