• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

racial comments or not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mel01

Hi recently in a meeting with approx 7 people. the following comments were made. A particular (rap and R&B) radio station's listeners the comment was made " i can gaurentee you most anyone who listens to that station doesnt have any money. When dicussing our (magazine) demographics of 38000.. "there are 42000 white people in anytown, usa out magazine can hit 38000 of them.. you are able to offer this to our advertisers" I did ask for a clarification and was told white people meaning non-ethnic. Now i know i live in the south but this upset me very much. The next day i spoke to my boss the wife of the man speaking at this meeting. He didnt attend our meeting. She pretty much apologized for my feelings but never send they were warrented. I misunderstood he meant 42000 people with a higher household income and concerning the radio that 50% of the listners are unemployed which is what he meant by that statement. I wasnt happy (cause i felt like she could not understand where i was comming from) but i thought maybe she had a point especially concerning the radio station. I called the radio station and got there demographics 41.5 % make over 50,000 48% make over 25000 and 10.5 make 25000 or less. In this small town the cost of living is quite low so 25 isnt nothing to sneeze at. also 56% own there own home. THis information does not jive with the 50% unemployed and i feel like they made that assumption since the audience is percieved to be mainly ethnic. I truly dont know what to do. I am the only ethnic person in this business of 9. Also for about a month they took to calling each other yolanda shemica and tyrone, when i asked why she said she didnt have a reason and was sorry and it would stop. Am i nuts? :confused: please help??

A

Attorney_Replogle

First of all, there is no federal law that I am aware of that requires private employers to have objective and actual data for their own marketing purposes. Thus, your employer's objectively incorrect demographic information about that radio station's audience is quite legal.

Nor is there any requirement that they make sure that there products or services are bought by a politically correct diverse amount of clients. In other words, make sure that X% of African Americans buy it, plus Y% of Hispanics buy it, etc.

The bottom line is that I find nothing objectionable about this meeting or your employer's marketing methods.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">