• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Racial harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Discriminated

I am currently going through the EEOC in filing a racial harassment suit against a small business. I was recently asked about how much the suit is for. I'm not really sure for how much to ask for. I don't want to ask for too much, but then I want them to pay for what was done to me. How much do small business' that make around $100,000 a year usually get charged for discrimination?

A

Attorney_Replogle

Good question. There is no set or typical settlement fee or verdict amount. The items that you have to take into consideration are; your age, your sex, your expected number of working years left, your annual income, the cost (to the company) of your various benefits, any physical or psychological injuries that you received as a result of the illegal conduct (which is shown by doctors diagnosis and bills), the type of illegal conduct taken against you, how egreious was it, etc. The question of how much yearly revenue the employer makes is only relevant when a court or an administrative court or agnecy (such as the EEOC) determines that it will penalize the company by awarding the plaintiff punitive damages. It all sounds more complicated than you thought, and it is. Sorry!

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">