• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

raise in rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rentershel

Is there rent control in northern california? My landlord just raised my rent by $85. a mo. the reason he gives is that he had to replace fuse box to panel box in the house. the electrician told me the electrical wiring was not up to code and had to be replaced. Am I required to pay to have the house safe to live in? If not how do I approach him or get him to not raise my rent by the $85? Thank you dd

L

LL

Rent control in California is by Municipal Ordinance. Therefore, exactly what city you live in determines if you are under rent control.

You also didn't say if your rent is protected by a lease, or if you are under month-to-month agreement. M/M, your rent can be raised anytime with 30 days notice, and excepting rent control, without giving a reason. After all, if the landlord has expenses, who do you think ultimately pays? (Pay me now, or pay me later).

If Rent Control would allow passing on this repair to tenants depends on exactly you R/C ordinance, if you have one.

You can always discuss the matter with the landlord, but ultimately his expenses have to be paid by someone. However, $85/month is $1020 in just the first year. Maybe you can convince him to charge you monthly until the cost is paid off, and then revert to the original price.

However, the other side of this is that, at least in California, right now is a time of rapidly rising rents so that he may be able to get $85 or even more per month just by re-renting.

R

rentershel

Thanks for the info. This really helps when I wasn't really sure who to ask. I guess it might be time for me to move to a place with cheaper rent or to move out of ca all together. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">