• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ramifications of frequent overnight guest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onomonapeia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

A friend lives in a condo. She has recently met a guy who works job to job (so lots of free time if he wants it). He lives in the next state over. When he visits, he stays over at her condo - and its usually for 2-3 days at a time. It's becoming a weekly occurrence. He's drifted a bit and doesn't really have roots. She bought the condo somewhere between 5-10 years ago and its in her name (and maybe her parents). Her parents are afraid that he'll somehow take advantage (gradually move himself in without her noticing... and then just not leave). Is there anything that would prevent her from kicking him to the curb at any time if she continues with this? Should I warn her about anything (I think she may go off the deep end if her parents get to say I told you so... so I'd like to give her some practical advice if there is any to be had...)
thanks!!

HRZ

1. MYOB? It remains common to shoot the bearer of bad news. let others have the honors!

2. Yes, NJ is rather ultra tenant friendly and a frequent guest can all too quickly smell like a tenant ..and tenants have big piles of rights in NJ

3. Facts may vary ..and as a Long term LL I'd get real nervous if other person does not maintain a bona fide residence elsewhere..and starts getting mail at my place and shifts anything to that address like drivers license, voter registration, tax home ..a drifter wo a residence elsewhere is one big risk...and generally speaking any benefit of any doubt runs with the " tenant" ...but as a parent of supposedly well educated young adults..I'm sure my own children would tune me out over affairs of the heart ..luckily everyone made it past dangerous shoals.

3.1 Botton line young adults are entitled to do it thier way...and not parents job to bail them out or instruct them . helpful and supportive wo meddling ..a tough line in shifting sands .

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

A friend lives in a condo. She has recently met a guy who works job to job (so lots of free time if he wants it). He lives in the next state over. When he visits, he stays over at her condo - and its usually for 2-3 days at a time. It's becoming a weekly occurrence. He's drifted a bit and doesn't really have roots. She bought the condo somewhere between 5-10 years ago and its in her name (and maybe her parents). Her parents are afraid that he'll somehow take advantage (gradually move himself in without her noticing... and then just not leave). Is there anything that would prevent her from kicking him to the curb at any time if she continues with this? Should I warn her about anything (I think she may go off the deep end if her parents get to say I told you so... so like to give her some practical advice if there is any to be had...)
thanks!!
It doesn't matter if its a condo or a house or anything else. If he eventually meets the requirements to be a tenant then the worst case scenario is that she would have to go through the procedure to evict him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">