• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Random drug testing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wlfwo

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I know most if not all schools have it. Both my kids have signed the papers to be tested should their names come up. However a friend of my daughters mom refused to sign for her daughter saying it violated her privacy. Without the parents agreement it seems she can't be tested. Here is the sticking point, my daughter's friend called yesterday asking about the rival school's colors, seems she was going to the game (our school hosting) but had been told that since she didn't agree to the random drug testing she can't even ATTEND the game. I can't find anything in the rule book that says she can't ATTEND. It says she canNOT participate, first I ever heard of spectators being participants. Also games are open to the public.
Here is the section on the drug testing rules : RANDOM DRUG TESTING POLICY
(DISTRIBUTED AND SIGNED FOR AT BOOK REGISTRATION.)
Any student who wishes to participate in extracurricular/co-curricular activities or drive to or from school or any school related events must participate in the XXXXXXXXX High School Drug, Alcohol and Tobacco Random Testing Program. Any student who refuses to subject himself to the random drug testing program will not be permitted to participate in such activities. Students enrolled in the XXXXXXXXXX High School Drug, Alcohol and Tobacco Random Testing Program will be subjected to random chemical tests to determine if the student has consumed or is under the influence of drugs, alcohol or tobacco.

Now I can see where she can't PLAY or DRIVE to the game. But to refuse to allow her to WATCH it?! Where does it say that? And if she can't go to the school for a game then why allow her at school at all? I copied that straight from the rule book, only thing I changed was to X out the school name.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

Wlfwo said:

I know most if not all schools have it. Both my kids have signed the papers to be tested should their names come up. However a friend of my daughters mom refused to sign for her daughter saying it violated her privacy. Without the parents agreement it seems she can't be tested. Here is the sticking point, my daughter's friend called yesterday asking about the rival school's colors, seems she was going to the game (our school hosting) but had been told that since she didn't agree to the random drug testing she can't even ATTEND the game. I can't find anything in the rule book that says she can't ATTEND. It says she canNOT participate, first I ever heard of spectators being participants. Also games are open to the public.
Any student who wishes to participate in extracurricular/co-curricular activities or drive to or from school or any school related events must participate in the XXXXXXXXX High School Drug, Alcohol and Tobacco Random Testing Program. Any student who refuses to subject himself to the random drug testing program will not be permitted to participate in such activities. Students enrolled in the XXXXXXXXXX High School Drug, Alcohol and Tobacco Random Testing Program will be subjected to random chemical tests to determine if the student has consumed or is under the influence of drugs, alcohol or tobacco.

Now I can see where she can't PLAY or DRIVE to the game. But to refuse to allow her to WATCH it?! Where does it say that? And if she can't go to the school for a game then why allow her at school at all? I copied that straight from the rule book, only thing I changed was to X out the school name.

...any school related events.

BelizeBreeze

Wlfwo said:

Talk to the u.s. Supreme Court or read the decision in The Board of Education of Independent School District Number 92 of Pottawatomie County vs. Earls
The school is well within their rights and I applaud them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">