• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Random search on Metro

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sefnfot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My brother was stopped and searched by a Los Angeles Sheriff while riding the subway metro.
( he is 19 and is NOT a trouble maker; he is a quiet introverted type guy that minds his own business. He is a special Ed student that was probably minding his own business while on the subway and listening to his headphone and iphone.)

This is the second time this happened to him. and this time he asked why he was being searched and the police said " he looked suspicious"

do the police have a right to conduct random searches? Should he ask to speak to a supervisor next time?

while it is best not to refuse a polices order, What are his rights in this situation... while riding metro?

CdwJava

I suspect he did not object to the search, or they would not have been able to conduct a search of his person absent probable cause. Looking "suspicious" is NOT "probable cause."

If he does not want to be searched,m he can always politely decline. However, depending on the circumstances, he might be refused a ride if he does so.

sefnfot

Is it advisable to request a supervisor ?
I received an email from a Lieutenant Transit Services Bureau - North Rails.
What should I clarify with him?

CdwJava

Is it advisable to request a supervisor ?
For what? If you want to ask for a supervisor at the time of the search, you can ask - they can deny.

I received an email from a Lieutenant Transit Services Bureau - North Rails.
What should I clarify with him?
Nothing other than providing your brother's contact information. You're not even a witness.

justalayman

I suspect he did not object to the search, or they would not have been able to conduct a search of his person absent probable cause. Looking "suspicious" is NOT "probable cause."

If he does not want to be searched,m he can always politely decline. However, depending on the circumstances, he might be refused a ride if he does so.
How would the "special ed" situation play into the situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">