• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rape charges in nys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miss40i

I have two different questions on two different cases?

How can someone be charged with Rape 2nd, get dropped to Sexual Misconduct, and then the Grand Jury come back with Rape 3rd? and if convicted, will they have to register as a sex offender?

If someone is originally charged with Sexual Misconduct, how much time are they facing? If convicted, will they have to register as a sex offender?

Thanks

Crazed98

Sexual Misconduct
Under New York State Penal law, sexual misconduct is defined as engaging in sexual intercourse with a female without their consent, or engaging in deviate sexual conduct with a person without the latter's consent. Sexual misconduct is classified as a Class A misdemeanor and definite sentence of imprisonment up to one (1) year.
http://www.vassar.edu/information/article130.html

1. WHO IS REQUIRED TO REGISTER?

Sex offenders are required to register.

2. WHAT DOES “SEX OFFENDER” MEAN?

“Sex offender” includes any person who is convicted of a sex offense or a sexually violent offense.
(N.Y. Correct. Law § 168-a(1))

3. WHAT DOES “SEX OFFENSE” MEAN?

“Sex offense” means:
(1) a conviction of or a conviction for an attempt to commit:
(a) sexual misconduct;
http://www.sexcriminals.com/megans-law/us/new-york/

miss40i

NYS

If the charge is Sexual Misconduct, what can the charges be reduced to and what time is he looking at?

Thanks

We have the statement from the alledged victim and another statement which is totally contradictory. Would a good lawyer fight for this young man?

HomeGuru

miss40i said:
NYS

If the charge is Sexual Misconduct, what can the charges be reduced to and what time is he looking at?

Thanks

We have the statement from the alledged victim and another statement which is totally contradictory. Would a good lawyer fight for this young man?

**A: why are you asking and how are you related to this young man?

miss40i

I am asking this because I am concerned about my son's future. This false allegation could ruin his future.

HomeGuru

miss40i said:
I am asking this because I am concerned about my son's future. This false allegation could ruin his future.

**A: then why have you not hired the best criminal defense attorney in NY?

miss40i

Don't you think that if I could afford it that I would? I am a single mother trying to provide the best for my children and the law takes advantage of the people below poverty level because they know that we can't afford an attorney.

miss40i

My son is 20. And if you are going to ask why does it seem like I am doing all the leg work and not him, I am trying through the computer and he is making phone calls at home. We are trying to get some help through any avenue we can.

You Are Guilty

miss40i said:
Don't you think that if I could afford it that I would? I am a single mother trying to provide the best for my children and the law takes advantage of the people below poverty level because they know that we can't afford an attorney.
That's why we have 18-B lawyers. I suggest you tell your son to request one at his next court date, if he hasn't done so already.

You Are Guilty

miss40i said:
What is a 18-B Attorney? He has court tonite and I am really worried.

I don't know how he did it, but HomeGuru answered your question before you asked it:

HomeGuru said:
public defenders..........................

I guess his crystal ball finally is back from the repair shop.

miss40i

I'm sorry, I must have been on the wrong website. I thought I would actually get some legal answers from this website. I guess I was mistaken

Veronica1228

miss40i said:
I'm sorry, I must have been on the wrong website. I thought I would actually get some legal answers from this website. I guess I was mistaken
You got legal answers. What's your problem? No one has said anything offensive or mean, so your comment is out of line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">