• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rape statute of limitations? Harassment by perp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zebra3x

My friend is 19 now. From age 9 to 10 a family friend molested her many times. Her father actually might have arranged the abuse in exchange for free rent from the friend. He would not allow her to report the abuse and would beat her if she mentioned it. Now, 10 yrs later, the abuser will call her from time to time and talk to her about how he enjoyed it, etc. It is negatively impacting her mental health, to say the least. He still lives in Missouri (where the abuse took place) and she now lives in Texas. Does she have any legal recourse? Is it possible to charge him still? I am sure with lack of physical evidence it would be hard to get a conviction, but anything that would stop him from contacting her would be helpful. She changes her number but he always finds her (I suspect her father actually gives him the new number after he finds it). Any advice?

quincy

There is no statute of limitations for sexual assault of a minor.

Your friend should speak to an attorney in her area.

Last edited:

Just Blue

My friend is 19 now. From age 9 to 10 a family friend molested her many times. Her father actually might have arranged the abuse in exchange for free rent from the friend. He would not allow her to report the abuse and would beat her if she mentioned it. Now, 10 yrs later, the abuser will call her from time to time and talk to her about how he enjoyed it, etc. It is negatively impacting her mental health, to say the least. He still lives in Missouri (where the abuse took place) and she now lives in Texas. Does she have any legal recourse? Is it possible to charge him still? I am sure with lack of physical evidence it would be hard to get a conviction, but anything that would stop him from contacting her would be helpful. She changes her number but he always finds her (I suspect her father actually gives him the new number after he finds it). Any advice?
She needs to call the police department in the city/town where the abuse took place and file a criminal complaint with a SVU Detective.

Did she talk to anyone at the time this happened? A friend? sibling or perhaps another relative? Has she been to therapy and discussed what happened?

zebra3x

Her brother, who is 1 year younger than her, her mom and her dad were all told. She has had a series of mental health problems since and has been in and out of therapy multiple times. I have convinced her to start again but that has only been a couple of weeks now.
She needs to call the police department in the city/town where the abuse took place and file a criminal complaint with a SVU Detective.

Did she talk to anyone at the time this happened? A friend? sibling or perhaps another relative? Has she been to therapy and discussed what happened?

zebra3x

Her brother, who is 1 year younger than her, her mom and her dad were all told. She has had a series of mental health problems since and has been in and out of therapy multiple times. I have convinced her to start again but that has only been a couple of weeks now.
I do not think she discussed this much though, even in therapy, due to fear/guilt/ embarassment, etc. so not much if any documentation in the past. Sorry, I didn't get the gist of your question at first.

Just Blue

Tell her to file a complaint...and to continue on with the therapy.

Just Blue

I do not think she discussed this much though, even in therapy, due to fear/guilt/ embarassment, etc. so not much if any documentation in the past. Sorry, I didn't get the gist of your question at first.
Can she join and post for herself? It's better to discuss things with the legal party...for clarity's sake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">