• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rape statute of limitations? Harassment by perp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

Definitely. Thank you
OH! Something to keep in mind...He very likely has other victims out there. Pedophiles rarely, if ever, have just one victim. If he is charged perhaps other victims will come forward.

Please keep us updated if possible.

quincy

Texas Governor Abbott signed into law in June the "Lavinia Masters Act" which removes the statute of limitations in some sexual assault cases (e.g., where evidence like rape kits have not been tested). And, as said earlier, in cases of sexual assault of minors, there is no statute of limitations.

There are also more resources available to victims of sexual assault.

Here is a link to the new law:
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/billtext/pdf/HB00008F.pdf#navpanes=0
I agree with Just Blue that a police report should be made - but I recommend that she speak with an attorney first. What she says to the attorney will be confidential.

Just Blue

Texas Governor Abbott signed into law in June the "Lavinia Masters Act" which removes the statute of limitations in some sexual assault cases (e.g., where evidence like rape kits have not been tested). And, as said earlier, in cases of sexual assault of minors, there is no statute of limitations.

There are also more resources available to victims of sexual assault.

Here is a link to the new law:
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/billtext/pdf/HB00008F.pdf#navpanes=0
I agree with Just Blue that a police report should be made - but I recommend that she speak with an attorney first.
The rape didn't occur in Texas. it happened in MO.

CdwJava

FYI, the OP clarified that the perp. lives in Missouri and that was where the abuse took place. If so, it appears that the SoL may continue until 10 years beyond the 18th birthday, or 3 years after the discovery of the physical or psychological injury caused by the abuse. She might consider speaking to law enforcement where this occurred.

Now, if she is in Texas and being harassed by her abuser, that might be a crime in TX, but I suspect it will be a misdemeanor and that seeking extradition from Mo. even if they do act on it would be unlikely. But, if she wants to try and scare him off or discourage him, maybe speaking to local law enforcement in TX would help. Who knows, maybe the Texas agency can ask for a Missouri counterpart to respond to rattle the creep's cage even if she does not want to report the crimes from her youth.

No matter her call on reporting it, I hope she is utilizing counseling resources to help her cope - especially in light of the contacts by the perpetrator.

quincy

In Missouri, there is no statute of limitations for "forcible" rape or rape of a minor of the ages reported here (age 9-10).

A link to Missouri rape laws:
http://revisor.mo.gov/main/OneChapter.aspx?chapter=566
The advice I gave earlier is the advice I give now. Your friend should seek out advice and direction from an attorney in her area. I recommend she do this before speaking to the police in either or both Missouri and Texas.

Last edited:

Just Blue

FYI, the OP clarified that the perp. lives in Missouri and that was where the abuse took place. If so, it appears that the SoL may continue until 10 years beyond the 18th birthday, or 3 years after the discovery of the physical or psychological injury caused by the abuse. She might consider speaking to law enforcement where this occurred.

Now, if she is in Texas and being harassed by her abuser, that might be a crime in TX, but I suspect it will be a misdemeanor and that seeking extradition from Mo. even if they do act on it would be unlikely. But, if she wants to try and scare him off or discourage him, maybe speaking to local law enforcement in TX would help. Who knows, maybe the Texas agency can ask for a Missouri counterpart to respond to rattle the creep's cage even if she does not want to report the crimes from her youth.

No matter her call on reporting it, I hope she is utilizing counseling resources to help her cope - especially in light of the contacts by the perpetrator.
I do hope she reports the crime. He needs to be punished for what he did to her and very likely to other little girls.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">