• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

raped at 15

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

julie1965ohio

What is the name of your state? ohio

When I was 15 I was raped at my home by an 18 year old boy from my school. He was not a boyfriend or anyone that I knew. I told my Mom after it happened (the next day when she came home from her date) and first she called me a liar then told me I deserved it. She also told me I had better not tell anyone what happened or I would be in trouble because she said that I was making it up just to make her look bad for being gone and leaving me alone all night when she was at her boyfriends. I have suffered emotional problems since and I am now 40 years old. I know the statue of limitations has run out for me to do anything to the guy that raped me. My question is this: Did I have a legal right to have my Mom take me to a doctor or notify the authorities? I have been talking to a therapist recently and was told by someone else that if a crime is commited against you as a child and you don't realize it was a crime until you are an adult that you have 2 years from the time of the realization to litigate. Is this true? Can I hold her legally accountable in any way now for not getting me any help at the time?

The crime happened in Ohio and I still reside in the same city.

ceara19

julie1965ohio said:
What is the name of your state? ohio

When I was 15 I was raped at my home by an 18 year old boy from my school. He was not a boyfriend or anyone that I knew. I told my Mom after it happened (the next day when she came home from her date) and first she called me a liar then told me I deserved it. She also told me I had better not tell anyone what happened or I would be in trouble because she said that I was making it up just to make her look bad for being gone and leaving me alone all night when she was at her boyfriends. I have suffered emotional problems since and I am now 40 years old. I know the statue of limitations has run out for me to do anything to the guy that raped me. My question is this: Did I have a legal right to have my Mom take me to a doctor or notify the authorities? I have been talking to a therapist recently and was told by someone else that if a crime is commited against you as a child and you don't realize it was a crime until you are an adult that you have 2 years from the time of the realization to litigate. Is this true? Can I hold her legally accountable in any way now for not getting me any help at the time?

The crime happened in Ohio and I still reside in the same city.
What you heard is not exactly correct. There are laws that allow legal action to take place years after a crime has been committed against a child when the victim suppresses the memory. The SOL begins from the time the adult REMEMBERS what happened. You didn't suffer from suppressed memories, so this doesn't apply to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">