• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rattlesnake incident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marla

Is there help out there for me? I was going across country from NY to CA last summer to start a new job. I stopped in Wyoming and got bit by a rattlesnake on 8/12. I was covered by BC/BS from my job in NY through 8/31. The health insurance coverage (Aetna) at my new job started on 9/1. BC/BS covered everything regarding the bite ($45,000). I made my way to CA about 1 1/2 weeks later at which time I got severe pneumonia (I aspirated on blood I was throwing up at the time of the bite). I was hospitalized from 8/25-9/5. My new job contacts Aetna and they assign me a case manager because I have to go back to NY for a 2 month recovery period and the case is involved. I have contact with this man in Sept./Oct. of 2000 and he assures me that he will take care of everything. I sent him the BC/BS denial of the medical claims. (BC/BS says they legally have to pay the hospitalization through until 9/5 even though my coverage stopped on 8/31, but they are not required to pay the medical portion of it). The medical charges are about $2000, the hospitalization- $90,000. In November my case manager stops returning my calls so I get my work insurance guy to call him. After months of fooling around the "case manager" says BC/BS should pay all of it. They first said the claims were not being paid because I did not have a referral from a primary care physcian. That of course was impossible because I was in CA for one day prior to hospitalization and not even an Aetna insuree yet. According to BC/BS it is now too late to appeal the BC/BS decision. Who should pay it or am I stuck?? HELP

ALawyer

Write to the NY State Insurance Department and the CA department of managed health care, and then, if needed, take them to small claims court. You were in insurance no mans land.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">