• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re-Entering with Green Card 7 months after Re-Entry Permit Expires?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raghits

Here is a summary of my Case:

Green Card Approved Oct 9, 2013.

On work assignment left the US to India on May 15, 2014 LEFT with 2 year Re- Entry Permit.

Re-Entered in Apr 1, 2016 to US and re-applied for another 2 year Re-Entry Permit.

Left US to India on work assignment on May 15, 2016 LEFT and haven't returned yet.

Re-Entry Permit valid until Sep 7, 2018. I'm still on work assignment in India until Apr 15, 2019 and will be unable to visit the US in the interim due to work and personal reasons.

Can I re-enter with my Green Card in Apr 2019 7 months after Re-Entry Permit expires? What are my options?

Thank you in advance.

raghits

You can renew reentry permits. See the USCIS webpage.
I understand that I can renew reentry permits. But for that I would have to be in the US for at least 1 month (possibly upto 2 months) to apply and get my fingerprinting done before returning. I can't afford to leave India for that long period due to my work and personal reasons before my re-entry permit expires. So I'm trying to figure out options to keep my Green Card by being in India and without having to enter the US.

FlyingRon

Alas, this may not be possible. It is quite possible that if you enter with a prolonged absence and an long expired reentry permit, they are going to decide that you have abandoned your permanent residency status. Green cards are for people who intend to reside permanently in the US, not some grease for visitors to enter and work here.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You should be deciding whether you want to stay in India or actually live and work in the US. Doesn't seem like you were very interested in a green card to begin with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">