• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

re: fire incident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PrimeTime

i have a renter(lives beside my property)who was burning trash behind my house saturday which got out of hand and destroyed my outbuilding and all contents. btw, he has absolutely no insurance whatsoever! an adjuster has been out to take pictures and survey the damage. he told me that he would send out a contractor to give an estimate on replacing the building. when my agent originally surveyed my property five years ago, he said he couldn't insure the building(but the contents would be covered)unless some work was done to it. i elected not to so my policy states that under section 1 property other structures that my outbuilding is not covered. i told the adjuster and he said that it was still cover under personal property. i'm confused as to what is and is not covered. my insurance company is erie and i reside in north carolina. if it is covered, do i have the right to have whoever i want to build it and remove the debris or should i let whoever the insurance company contracts out build it? what are some things i need to concern myself with in terms of recovering contents of the building? any help will be greatly appreciated!

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Little side note before we begin: never use names of people or companies.

Contact your state deparment of insurance and see how these clauses work exactly, it might indeed be covered under personal property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">