• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re-Post WITH State(s)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



"Official check drawn on CA Bank"
----->Check deposited in MD Bank.

I sold a Rolex watch over eBay to
a man in CA. He won the auction
and told me he would overnight an
"OFFICIAL CHECK" that can be deposited
as cash. When I received the check,
the deposit was made and I used it
to pay bills.
The next day he told me he didn't
like/want the watch, that he had
put a "Stop Payment" on the check
and was returning the watch back to me.

During this time, my bank called me,
saying I had cashed a "Bad Check" and
they were going to call the police.
I explained the situation, FAX-ED them
all the eBay and e-mail papers, etc.

The bank called me later saying they
had spoken to the credit union in CA,
and that it was now a civil matter between the Buyer and myself. They told me the Bank in CA said they would release the funds
to my bank. Well, this week, when I tried to deposit a check into my bank, the teller said my account was in arrears by $4024
(the selling price of the Rolex).

This was a shock as I was told the matter had been settled between the banks.
In the meantime, the man I sold the
watch to had shipped a box back to me containing the Rolex Papers, Instruction Book, as well as a Phone I had given him as a "good will" gesture, as I saw him
bidding on digital phones. The watch
was NOT inside the package.

Now I am out the watch, and my bank
is after me to reimburse them $4024 on that "Official Check" which I thought
could not be stopped in the first place.

I am concerned about what actions my
bank might take against me, and whether
this would fall into a civel or criminal matter. I never knew this person before
the eBay auction, and all communication
has the IP address to prove we both are
who we say we are.

Can an "Official Check" be stopped?

What are my options. My bank hasn't
communicated with me since the date
the check was cashed (about 3 weeks ago).

I need HELP!


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential