• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re:posting Creditor Suing friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ochiatl

Re:posting Creditor Suing friend

What is the name of your state? GA

friend of mine told me that she was being sued by the company that repo'd her car in May '02, for the balance of the deficiency. She stopped paying them after she notified them that they were not reporting the information correctly on her credit report. The balance on the credit report showed $8000, but she only had a $4700 deficiency and had made payments to bring it down to $3200. As we got into the discussion, some of the information she gave me led me to believe that this was a wrongful repo from the begining.

When the car was repo'd, she was about 35 days past due. She was told that if she paid $1250 (past due, next payment and repo charges), she could retrieve her car. She sent the amount requested by WU quick collect the next day. Once they received the payment, they asked her to provide 7 more references, which she did. They told her that she could go and pick up the vehicle which was across town. After she was given the keys, had gotten in the car and was proceeding off the lot, she was stopped by the repo man and told that the creditor had just called and said that she could not take the car. She was of course very angry and immediately called them and they stated that they did not feel the references were good enough and they were not returning the car. She argued and the police were called and she was told to leave.

The issue I have is that they accepted her payment. She was given an amount to bring her account current and she paid it within 24 hours. She had to call and argue with them to get the money back, but after about a week, they did return the $1250. They did not allow her to give anymore references. She had never tried to conceal the car, nor was she notified that she was in danger of repossession, but I am aware that once you are one day late, you are in default. Would this not be a wrongful repossession? She just purchased a new car and her interest rate is 21% because of the previous repo and the balance due (which was incorrect).

Am I correct in thinking that the initial repo had violated her consumer rights? Once they accepted the payment, would that not be an agreement of some sort to reinstate the loan? Also, did the erroneous reporting on the credit report cause her financial harm and does she have recourse to counter sue for this? If the initial repo was wrongful, does the statute of limitations on the "wrongful repossession" run from the date that the car was repo'd or from the date when she discovered the injury?

The FCRA states:

§ 617. Civil liability for negligent noncompliance [15 U.S.C. § 1681o]

(a) In general. Any person who is negligent in failing to comply with any requirement imposed under this title with respect to any consumer is liable to that consumer in an amount equal to the sum of

(1) any actual damages sustained by the consumer as a result of the failure;

(2) in the case of any successful action to enforce any liability under this section, the costs of the action together with reasonable attorney's fees as determined by the court.
Would this apply in her situation? Can she file a countersuit in her answer for any of the previous issues?

Fortunately, she does have a file with the proof showing how much she owed at the time of repo, the original sales contract, the WU quick collect reciept for the fees requested and other assorted documents. She has not been served yet, but has asked the servicer to bring the paperwork to her at work tomorrow. I would appreciate any answers that can help with this matter. She wants to handle this herself because she cannot afford an attorney.

Thank you in advance.

ochiatl

Can we please get an answer?

My friend and I really need some input. Does anyone have an suggestions on how we should handle this. She received her summons and has 30 days to file her answer.

Ladynred

It does sound a little shady, but to be quite frank she needs a lawyer to straighten it out. There are free or low-cost legal services available just about everywhere.

She was given the 'right to cure' specfied in the law (UCC), the $1250 she paid, that much is correct. I don't know about the additional references, that *sounds* like crap but could allowed. At least they gave her her money back.

To stop paying over a credit report dispute was not the best idea. The delinquency on her CR was already doing damage, now there's a repo on her reports. Did she dispute the balance with the credit bureaus FIRST ??

If she really wants to do this on her own, you'd better start spending some time in a law library researching the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) and other applicable state statutes. To just go in front of a judge and say 'its not fair' isn't going to cut it. A lawyer would be much better on this one.

ochiatl

She stopped paying the deficiency, because they were not reporting on the credit report properly. She did not refuse to make the car payments. She was about 35 days deliquent when the repo'd the car. She has an issue with the fact that they are not reporting that she has been paying the deficiency on time and they do not have the correct balance.

When they first repo'd the car, she payed what they asked to get it back and they accepted the payment, then they changed their minds. They are now suing her for the deficiency but I was thinking that this was a wrongful repo in the first place.

Ladynred

It could be that the bank screwed up with the repo, but I still say she needs to consult with a lawyer.

As for her credit report, there is no obligation for a creditor to EVER report and many only update every 3 months, some only every 6 months. If they DO report, then it must be accurate, complete and verifiable. Its also not unusual for collections or accounts of that sort to not have payments reported at all. Once the debt is paid, they'll report that, but nothing else and its perfectly legal.

ochiatl

Thank you for that information. I did tell her that she should not have stopped paying them, but it is too late now. Regarding the wrongfull repo: when does the statute of limitations run on that? From the day she was repo'd or from the day she realized that it was done unjustly? If they accept payment, then would that consitute an agreement to reinstate the original loan?

ochiatl

Filed answer for friend on the basis of wrongful repo and violation of fair debt collections and counter sued for $15,000....company agreed to drop suit and remove repo from credit report if she dropped counter suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">