• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reading of the Will... reality check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
State: MA

A parent has died. One child is talking about having a formal reading of the will, including a lawyer. Isn't that just a TV creation?

I am one of the other children. There was no need of such a thing when other relatives died, albeit in another state.

Is there ever a need for such a thing for anyone but mega-rich eccentrics?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

A parent has died. One child is talking about having a formal reading of the will, including a lawyer. Isn't that just a TV creation?

I am one of the other children. There was no need of such a thing when other relatives died, albeit in another state.

It's not really a "thing". There is no need for a formal gathering where the will is read.

adjusterjack

Your sib has been watching too many Agatha Christie movies. Reading of the will is not a "legal" requirement though I imagine it's done.

Is your sib the the executor or representative of the estate (acknowledged by court papers)?

Keep in mind that the estate will be billed by the lawyer for the service, thus eroding your inheritance somewhat.

Nip this in the bud as fast as you can.

zddoodah

A TV creation? No. However, TV and movies have led to the myth that it's common and/or a requirement.

I suppose it depends on how one defines "need," but I would say that, absent something in the will that says otherwise (e.g., something that makes a gift contingent on attending a "reading") it's never "needed."

Just Blue

Red, I'm so sorry for your loss.

quincy

I am really sorry to hear of your parent’s death, Red.

Do you think your sibling just wants to gather the family together and a reading of the will is an excuse to do so? Or is there a possible concern that some of the conditions of the will might need clarification from an attorney?

If there is not likely to be questions that arise over the wording of the will that perhaps need legal clarification, an attorney would seem to be an unnecessary expense.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My condolences, red. Memory Eternal.

I always took the "reading of the will" on tv/in movies as "necessary" for dramatic effect. The whole DumDum DUUUUUM moment of "and I am leaving my entire estate to..... Edna, who is my previously unknown niece's illegitimate child, and the rest of you SOBs get nothing!"

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing new to add except to agree that your sib has been overdosing on Dame Agatha. Really just posted to say sorry for your loss.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I am really sorry to hear of your parent’s death, Red.

Do you think your sibling just wants to gather the family together and a reading of the will is an excuse to do so? Or is there a possible concern that some of the conditions of the will might need clarification from an attorney?

If there is not likely to be questions that arise over the wording of the will that perhaps need legal clarification, an attorney would seem to be an unnecessary expense.
I've concluded that my sibling, in spite of their age, is a little clueless.

There were absolutely no surprises in the will, nothing unexpected, very straightforward. Our parents have always been clear about their final plans, and tried to keep their paperwork up to date. They learned from the mistakes of other relatives.

TrustUser

just curious - was that ever a customary thing by the average person in the usa ? or has it always just been a movie adaptation ?

commentator

I saw a circumstance where the executor was aware of something in the parent's will that was NOT going to make one of the other siblings happy at all. Up till the official reading, she was not aware of this. It was not a bad decision on the part of the parent, but it was going to infuriate her! They really wanted to have it presented to this person in the presence of the attorney as well as the children/heirs (that she was not aware were going to be heirs in quite this manner.) He was pretty much protecting himself and them from a really bad scene with this one sister or from her completely not accepting that this was what was in the will. They've all avoided each other since the official reading held in the attorney's office. Which, don't think or say something like, "Aw that's just wrong!" Because that's the best possible case scenario in this situation. In case of completely looney folk in the family, sometimes a formal situation of revealing what's in the will is exactly what you need.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">