• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real estate assesment values

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dgl8471

I just came back from a Board of Revision Hearing for my real estate taxes and I have a question. First a little history.I had a drive by appraisal from an appraisal company. The county auditor supposedly did a drive by assesment as well. While at the hearing I was told my appraisal wouldn't count because it wasn't a full appraisal. However the auditors appraisal did count. When I asked why, my answer was "it's the law." Then when I summitted market comparisons from the auditors own files, they also didn't count, and asked me why I didn't search for other specific items. That was not an option on their web site. They decided to calculate using sq. footage instead of comparables. In Ohio it is not even legal to post sq. footage in the MLS as a real estate agent. Also, the land values and improvement values are listed seperately on the auditors forms. When I asked why my neighbor who has 2.32 acres land value was accessed at 27,000 and my land value with .837 acres is accessed at 37,000. (I also have more examples) I was told it didn't matter the only thing that counts is the total. How nice for my other neighbor who has 4.6 acres.

For me the issue is no longer about the appraised value of my property. It's about the double standard and we will change the rules the way we want when it suits us. I know the old saying is "you can't fight city hall", but can I? It's just not right. Can I sue the auditor for the way the rules for them are different than for the rest of us. Could it be a class action?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">