• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate Assessment Appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PAhomeowner

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania. I filed an appeal of my tax assessment with the board of property assessment and lost, despite having an independent appraisal of my property done and submitted as evidence. In contacting their office the reason for the ruling was 'insufficient evidence'. My option is to file an apppeal with the Court of Common Pleas, and they recommend an independent appraisal and sales data from my neighborhood. If I gave them a state certified appraisal in the first place, am I just banging my head against a wall. There is a $43,000 dollar difference in the appraisal values, so you can imagine the tax relief I am looking for. Where do I go from here?

L

loku

First of all, your independent appraisal will not be given some weight but not a lot, because often experts can be “bought” to give advantageous appraisals, even when nothing to that effect is said or agreed upon. Sales data from your neighborhood along with details of the differences between your home and the ones sold is probably going to be given much more weight.

Another thing you can do is get a copy of the local assessor’s manual and see what factors they use to determine value. That will give you a basis for arguing against their appraisal.

As in a lot of other matters, your chances of winning are far better if you hire a local lawyer specializing in property tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">