• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real estate own by two sibilings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Oesterjm

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My mother owns a cottage with her brother. It was left to them by their mother when she died. Two other sibilings sold there portions to my mom, giving her 3/4 ownership.

Over the last several years the brother is refusing to let her use it, he even changed the locks. Saying to her "you can use it but I'm going to be here whether you like it or not" and even sent letters to me and my sibilings saying we are not welcome there and not allowed to be on the property, even if we have my mothers permission. He has maintained the property i.e lawn mowing, but insists it is his and he is going to use it any time he pleases.

Can he do this?

Is she entiltled to 3/4 of the useage of the cottage since she owns 3/4 (She pay 3/4 of the taxes, utilities, and insurance)?

Can she deed the property to me...she fed up and doesn't want to deal with him anymore?

Thank you for your input!

HomeGuru

Oesterjm said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My mother owns a cottage with her brother. It was left to them by their mother when she died. Two other sibilings sold there portions to my mom, giving her 3/4 ownership.

Over the last several years the brother is refusing to let her use it, he even changed the locks. Saying to her "you can use it but I'm going to be here whether you like it or not" and even sent letters to me and my sibilings saying we are not welcome there and not allowed to be on the property, even if we have my mothers permission. He has maintained the property i.e lawn mowing, but insists it is his and he is going to use it any time he pleases.

Can he do this?

**A: yes he can because he is doing that and she is letting him. Is it legal? No.

Is she entiltled to 3/4 of the useage of the cottage since she owns 3/4 (She pay 3/4 of the taxes, utilities, and insurance)?

**A this is not a timeshare.
She entitled to use 100% of the property just as he is because percentage of ownership does not dictate percentage of use.
Can she deed the property to me...she fed up and doesn't want to deal with him anymore?

**A: yes, but then you will be faced with the same problem.
Her or you (if she deeds it to you) must take him to court to settle the matter or have the Court dictate instructions.
Thank you for your input!

**A: happy to be of help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">