• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

real estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjf

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My husband bought a house a few years ago with a partner. The house came empty In Nov and the partner said he wanted to sell. The after several weeks he said no, he decided he wanted to rent it. They put new carpet, painted it etc and got it ready for rental. Ran an ad in the paper and tooks several applications which had personal information along with ss numbers for background checks. His partner called and said we have had such a response I think we under priced the house. Someone offered him more money on the month along with a large deposit. My husband felt this was totally wrong after advertising it for a certain amount then pit the applicants against one another and said NO> Well the partner and him had harsh words about it and now we recieve a letter saying again he wants out and wants to sell. He gave us 2 options, buy his half, or put it on the market. We really don't want to sell it but can't he get in trouble for taking personal info and ss from people had it up for rental and now won't rent it wants to sell? Also taxes are due and he owes us money on repairs. My husband always kept the books. What is a fair way to handle this and what are our rights? Again can we be in trouble for this with fairhousing not renting it? This is a sad thing to take peoples info and ss numbers and then so, sorry its not for rent any longer its up for sell OOMG We think this is so wrong to do people this way.

justalayman

I don't believe the are any laws against "changing your mind" as long as the original rental offer was not a scam to secure private info from unsuspecting consumers. If they paid a dpeosit or app fee, that may change how it is percieved in the eyes of the courts so if any fees were charged, I would consider reimbursing the applicants for those.

Splitting the house.

You can do as suggested; buy the partner out, sell it and split ip up, or possible have the partner sue to have the courts order the sale and split (suit to partition) which would eat up a lot of the value of the house inlegal fees.

Your choice but inevitable if the partner is insistant upon selling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">