• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kmonte

Landlord has been tapping in on my electric for 7 years I paid the bill all that time when I found out I'm thinking that she's going to compensate me so I didn't pay the rent for like 3 months then I started paying it again we went on I hired an electrician myself and have proof that she was happening my line now she wants to evict me what should I do

Eekamouse

Landlord has been tapping in on my electric for 7 years I paid the bill all that time when I found out I'm thinking that she's going to compensate me so I didn't pay the rent for like 3 months then I started paying it again we went on I hired an electrician myself and have proof that she was happening my line now she wants to evict me what should I do
Did you discuss the electricity with her like an adult or did you just stop paying rent to retaliate? Did you contact code enforcement regarding the electricity issue?

zddoodah

In any future posts, please make an effort to use something that resembles proper capitalization and punctuation.

As best I can understand what you wrote, you failed to pay rent because of an assumption. I'm at a loss as to why anyone would do that and wonder why you didn't discuss the matter with your landlord before withholding rent. That said, "want[ing] to evict" means nothing, except that you now have time to resolve this issue. Call or visit your landlord and discuss what you believe is a fair resolution.

FarmerJ

Assuming you live one of our states in the USA Your city building inspections could have come out and verified that there were circuit breakers- fuses that were serving something else other than your apartment , What you didn't say was when you first moved in how many living units were in the building and how many electric meters there are. ( nor did you tell us what happened when you turned your fuse boxes main off ) and it really was important to include state name because some states are indeed crystal clear as to rules about tenants paying the bills on shared meters ( and some cities have even addressed it too)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">