• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Really Confused -Lease expires but need 2 months

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Birdsong

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I live in a very large apartment complex that is managed by a commercial property company. My lease is expiring next month (July).
I am moving out of the state soon, and need to stay in the apartment for 2 more months after my lease expires.

1) Can they throw me out when my lease ends?

2) If they threaten to throw me out, do I have any recourse or what steps could I take to remain the 2 additional months.

3) How much can they increase rent monthly if I don't sign a lease? For example, is there a certain percentage that they are allowed by law to increase the rent? (the property is not rent-controlled)

4) And if they decide to double my rent for month-to-month, do I have any recourse?

Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

If neither party gives notice to terminate the tenancy prior to the lease expires, it will convert to a month-to-month agreement with the same terms as the old. If they have not given you notice of a rent increase, then they can't increase it effective 7/1, they have to give at least 30 days notice to change any terms including the rent. If you want to stay for 2 more months, you should contact your landlord and let them know. Make sure you give proper WRITTEN notice of your actual move out date.

Cvillecpm

Yes - they can kick you out
Yes - they may not allow you to go M2M
Yes - the don't have to allow you to remain for 2 additional months at your current rent
Yes - you need to talk to mgmt ASAP NICELY!!!

treese

Cvillecpm is correct.

1. Yes, you can be evicted.
2. You have no recourse if they do not want to rent to you on a month to month basis.
3. No rent control = they can charge you whatever they feel.
4. No, you either pay the increased amount or move out.

If the tenant remains in the dwelling unit without the landlord's consent after the lease has expired ("tenancy at sufferance"), the landlord may resort to legal action to force the tenant to move. If the court then rules in the landlord's favor, the landlord may collect up to three months' rent or three times the actual damages, whichever is greater (KRS 383.695).
Kentucky Landlord Tenant Guide

If neither party gives notice to terminate the tenancy prior to the lease expires, it will convert to a month-to-month agreement with the same terms as the old. If they have not given you notice of a rent increase, then they can't increase it effective 7/1, they have to give at least 30 days notice to change any terms including the rent. If you want to stay for 2 more months, you should contact your landlord and let them know. Make sure you give proper WRITTEN notice of your actual move out date.
This is not always true. You really need to read your lease.

In some states, the tenant must move out by the end of the lease, unless:

a renewal has been agreed to

or there is a specific clause regarding the conversion to a month to month lease

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I live in a very large apartment complex that is managed by a commercial property company. My lease is expiring next month (July).
I am moving out of the state soon, and need to stay in the apartment for 2 more months after my lease expires.

1) Can they throw me out when my lease ends?

2) If they threaten to throw me out, do I have any recourse or what steps could I take to remain the 2 additional months.

3) How much can they increase rent monthly if I don't sign a lease? For example, is there a certain percentage that they are allowed by law to increase the rent? (the property is not rent-controlled)

4) And if they decide to double my rent for month-to-month, do I have any recourse?

Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Should the LL not want you there then you will be given notice and when that occurs then yes, they can have you removed. If no notice is given on either side then it should convert to a standard month to month tenant. If they give you notice that they do not intend to continue the lease you have no recourse but to find another place to stay. They have to provide 30 days notice to a M2M tenant to raise the rent. They can raise it to whatever they want, there's nothing you can do about it but pay it or leave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">