• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Really need some advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shell43

I was terminated on Sept. 30, 1999 for attendance, after 17 years of employment. I worked at a hospital in NY and am a member of a union.
A grievance was filed the day of my termination by the union, for unjust termination and for reinstatement with a last chance agreement. I admit that I foolishly did not get union representation during the progressive discipline steps, being embarassed and not wanting to make a fuss. Recently, the grievance was denied. However, I believe that I was unfairly disciplined within the department.
The policy states that certain steps are to be taken by management for lateness, absenteeism, or sickness; consisting of 2 verbal warnings, 1 written,a 2 day suspension, then termination. There are individuals in the dapartment who have been consistently absent, late or sick who I am certain were not subjected to proper disciplinary action. They were allowed to get away with this due to favoritism by the recently retired supervisor and the present supervisor. There is one case where the person called in sick 14 times and no disciplinary action was taken at all until recently, when a new laboratory manager was hired. My time, however, was carefully documented each time I called in sick. I do not believe that this is fair.
I would like to know if I have any recourse based on discriminatory attendance policy enforcement? Should I contact the labor board? This was not brought up in the original grievance by the union. I am not satisfied with the representation I received from the Union. I was not notified of what was going on unless I contacted them. The decision on the grievance was made on 2-2-2000. The union received it on 2-7-2000 and the union mailed it to me on 2-11-2000. I am upset that I was not notified in person by them as soon as they received the decision. Why was this notification not mailed until 2-11-2000? At the bottom of it was a note to please give the union office a call. Frankly, I do not wish to call them. I feel that they have treated this in a very cavlier manner.
I would like to know if I have any other options in this matter and what they might be? Thank you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">