• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rear child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



indiana, if rear child support is entered as judgement by a judge can you file bankruptcy on that judgement like all others?



Lawrat is correct. That's one thing that you cannot file bankruptcy on.

The reason is: Others before you have tried it, so they made it against the law to prevent folks from doing it.

Let us know if you have other questions.


Filing for Bankruptcy will cease all enforcement of Child support but not end the obligation or erase the arrears


"Filing for Bankruptcy will cease all enforcement of Child support but not end the obligation or erase the arrears"

Is this true?? Not doubting what you say but is there anywhere I could get more information on this, specifically for Pennsylvania?


Senior Member
BK does not stop the arrears from mounting. Otherwise as the wise ones before me have stated, every deadbeat would be doing it.



Please don't take me wrong....

I wasn't referring to BK as a way out of the obligations. But would it help somone who was in serious arrearage safely be able to start catching up and make timely payments without the fear of being arrested for contempt for being so far behind? It is very hard for someone to make payments from behind bars if they are jailed for contempt....


IMHO bankruptcy should be used as an absolute last resort only. Filing bankruptcy will ruin your credit for at least 7 - 10 years. Credit is EXTREMELY important, take it from one who used to not use credit wisely;) but is now well on her way to have A+ credit:)

Has he attempted to work out a payment arrangement with the court? Sometimes they will allow you to pay an additional percentage of your current child support payment to go towards arrears. Plus tax returns can be seized to help pay it off. I have a friend who paid off his entire arrearages with his tax returns. These large payments help bring the interest down considerably.

I'm sure his fears about being jailed are very genuine and real. I think you're correct also, it's pretty hard to pay a debt when you're behind bars. But that's the law currently. The best thing to do is make some sort of effort to pay on it. Just letting it go will only increase his problems further.


yes but it depends on when the child support arrears were established. they would go into the bk an be paid to the ct trustee.. you are still required to pay current child support..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential