• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear Ended By Someone When Driving Uber Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quantcook

What is the name of your state? Maryland.

I was driving Uber in July this year in Baltimore city and was hit on the side by someone from Georgia, she was driving a rental car from Enterprise at the time. my passenger side door was dented.
I called the police and we later had a police report.
My own insurance is with State Farm and Uber has an insurance with Farmers. The driver who hit me did not provide an insurance card at scene, she said she was renting this car using her own insurance but she didn't carry her insurance card with her.
My own insurance is not comprehensive and has deductible. What shall I do now? I only have her driver ID copy and a police report info.
Shall I go ahead to file a court case ? will that be in Baltimore City or Georgia?

thanks

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Maryland.

I was driving Uber in July this year in Baltimore city and was hit by someone from Georgia, she was driving a rental car from Enterprise at the time. my passenger side door was dented.
I called the police and we later had a police report.
My own insurance is with State Farm and Uber has an insurance with Farmers. The driver who hit me did not provide an insurance card at scene, she said she was renting this car using her own insurance but she didn't carry her insurance card with her.
My own insurance is not comprehensive and has deductible. What shall I do now? I only have her driver ID copy and a police report info.
Shall I go ahead to file a court case ? will that be in Baltimore City or Georgia?

thanks
It appears that Uber's insurance includes comprehensive coverage, although it has a high deductible ($2,500).
Your own insurance, if not "comprehensive" won't cover your damage at all. Additionally, as you were using your vehicle in the course of business, it might not (likely does not) provide coverage anyway.
If only your passenger side door was damage, you're probably not looking at a ton of damage, dollar-wise. Tell me, though, if you were "rear ended", how was only your passenger door damaged?

adjusterjack

My own insurance is not comprehensive and has deductible.
That doesn't make sense. Comprehensive doesn't usually come without Collision. Read your policy.

Doesn't matter. Your insurance doesn't cover you or your car for anything while carrying passengers for hire. Did you know that?

If you did not have passengers at the time, and you do have Collision coverage, make the claim on your own policy and avoid the hassle.

However, Uber provides limited physical damage coverage for your car while you have passengers but there's a $2500 deductible, so you're probably on your own there. Did you know that?

What shall I do now? I only have her driver ID copy and a police report info.
Do you have her phone number? Was there any conversation with her yet. Don't be so quick to sue before you talk to her about making the claim on her insurance.

It's also possible that Enterprise provided liability insurance for her. It's an option that costs extra. Call Enterprise and report the accident. See how that goes.

Accident lawsuits are typically filed where the accident happened. Understand though, that if you file in Maryland you'll have to register (domesticate) it in Georgia before you can enforce it.

adjusterjack

It appears that Uber's insurance includes comprehensive coverage, although it has a high deductible ($2,500).
Comprehensive and Collision with a $2500 deductible.

Your own insurance, if not "comprehensive" won't cover your damage at all.
Even with Comprehensive and Collision and Liability his own policy doesn't provide any coverage while he is carrying passengers for hire.

If only your passenger side door was damage, you're probably not looking at a ton of damage, dollar-wise. Tell me, though, if you were "rear ended", how was only your passenger door damaged?
Good question.

Zigner

Right - I didn't bother mentioning the collision component because it didn't seem relevant.

Even with Comprehensive and Collision and Liability his own policy doesn't provide any coverage while he is carrying passengers for hire.
Exactly. I hedged my bets a little in case the OP had added some sort of business use coverage to his personal policy.

adjusterjack

Right - I didn't bother mentioning the collision component because it didn't seem relevant.
His car was hit by another car so Collision is relevant.

Comprehensive these days is often called "other than collision" and has a limited list of covered perils:

Loss caused by the following is considered other than "collision":
1. Missiles or falling objects;
2. Fire;
3. Theft or larceny;
4. Explosion or earthquake;
5. Windstorm;
6. Hail, water or flood;
7. Malicious mischief or vandalism; 8. Riot or civil commotion;
9. Contact with bird or animal; or
10. Breakage of glass.

Exactly. I hedged my bets a little in case the OP had added some sort of business use coverage to his personal policy.
There is a business use classification on personal auto insurance but it doesn't eliminate the exclusion for carrying passengers for hire.

Carrying passengers for hire is relegated to Commercial Auto Insurance.

I have not found anything to indicate that insurance companies are willing to add that exposure to personal auto policies.

quantcook

Good question.
it's my typo, it's not rear ended, it's hit from the side.

quantcook

Your own insurance, if not "comprehensive" won't cover your damage at all. Additionally, as you were using your vehicle in the course of business, it might not (likely does not) provide coverage anyway.
my typo, not rear end, but hit from side.

quantcook

That doesn't make sense. Comprehensive doesn't usually come without Collision. Read your policy.

Doesn't matter. Your insurance doesn't cover you or your car for anything while carrying passengers for hire. Did you know that?

If you did not have passengers at the time, and you do have Collision coverage, make the claim on your own policy and avoid the hassle.

However, Uber provides limited physical damage coverage for your car while you have passengers but there's a $2500 deductible, so you're probably on your own there. Did you know that?

Do you have her phone number? Was there any conversation with her yet. Don't be so quick to sue before you talk to her about making the claim on her insurance.

It's also possible that Enterprise provided liability insurance for her. It's an option that costs extra. Call Enterprise and report the accident. See how that goes.

Accident lawsuits are typically filed where the accident happened. Understand though, that if you file in Maryland you'll have to register (domesticate) it in Georgia before you can enforce it.

quantcook

that's exactly what I did try to reach the lady, i called Enterprise and Enterprise refused to provide me any info on the driver, it seems it's a privacy law that prevent them from telling me anything unless there's a court ruling or request.

could you show me a bit more what is register? do you mean send a registered mail when I filed a case in Baltimore city court?

quantcook

the issue is, i claimed with uber's insurance Farmers. and farmers said they checked and found that the driver has insurance, so they asked me to contact the driver's insurance or driver. but they didn't tell me her insurance info.
farmers' insurance for me has 0 deductible, my question is ,why i can't claim from farmers. and if they ask me to contact her insurance, why farmers refused to tell me which insurance and policy number?

Zigner

Because that's how Uber's insurance works. It kicks in after other insurance possibilities have been exhausted. If you file a lawsuit, you'll get the other driver's insurance information.

adjusterjack

the issue is, i claimed with uber's insurance Farmers. and farmers said they checked and found that the driver has insurance, so they asked me to contact the driver's insurance or driver. but they didn't tell me her insurance info.
farmers' insurance for me has 0 deductible, my question is ,why i can't claim from farmers. and if they ask me to contact her insurance, why farmers refused to tell me which insurance and policy number?
Your beef is with the driver. I suggest you get an estimate for the repair, fill out a small claims complaint form, and attach both to a letter demanding payment, giving a deadline date, after which you will file suit.

Then hope she is smart enough to turn it over to her insurance company.

If you get no response, sue in Baltimore City. When you get the judgment there is a process in Georgia courts where you can register the judgment with the court so you can enforce the judgment in Georgia by garnishing wages, levying bank accounts, etc.

If you want to avoid the hassle, use your collision coverage (if you have it and you didn't have a passenger at the time) and your insurance company will go after the driver for reimbursement and refund your deductible when it gets the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">