• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear Ended His Insurance Accepted Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

john6185

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma At Fault state.
I am 74 years old with past injuries of cervical trauma and arthritis in spine. Three weeks ago we were at a dead stop and a guy hit the rear of our car and propelled us into the car in front of us. Both of us suffered neck trauma from being snapped back and then snapped forward and my head hit the steering wheel causing a small laceration which later ballooned up huge with bruising etc. I was transported to the ER in an ambulance and they did Cat scans, and treated lacerations on my thumb and forehead, ice pack etc. I went to my private Doctor complaining of neck pain, shoulder and back and he documented this prescribed Tramadol for me and sent us home. Three days later I send him a message asking for a Physical Therapy referral which he did for both of us.
The question I have is that I told him my wrist was sprained and he fluffed it off and now when I do something as simple as brushing my teeth my wrist hurts. I hate to return to see him for every little hurt related to the accident, we were very lucky not to have been seriously injured because the speed limit was 45 MPH and he did not brake at all according to witnesses. Our car was totaled and they have paid us for it already. Should I go back to see this Doctor when I have pain that I relate rightfully to the accident?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I can't tell if your complaint/question on this thread is about the other party's insurance, or about your doctor. Since you posted uner "Auto Accidents and Vehicle Claims", I'll assume it's the former. Complete your treatment before making any sort of claim to the other party.

john6185

It is about the accident and insurance. I apologize for ranting about the Doctor, I'll delete that portion of my message. My real wuestion is should I return to the Doctor if I have pain that is associated with the accident even though it is minor.

Just Blue

It is about the accident and insurance. I apologize for ranting about the Doctor, I'll delete that portion of my message. My real wuestion is should I return to the Doctor if I have pain that is associated with the accident even though it is minor.
Yes. Of course you should. All injuries from the accident should be documented and treated.

john6185

Well, I'll accept that advise! It's just hat over my lifetime I've had some bumps and bruises and never went to the Doctor and I knew that time would heal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you expect the other party to pay for your medical expenses, you have to have medical expenses. You shouldn't try to "fluff it up", but you should definitely see a medical professional if necessary.

I was hit about a year and a half ago - basically sideswiped. That evening, I was fine, but for the next few days I felt stiffness in my neck and was sore. I knew that it was almost entirely caused by the stress (physical and mental) of the accident, so I didn't see a doctor, nor did I ask for anything beyond the damage to my car and the cost of the rental.

john6185

Exactly, do not fabricate injuries. Be honest and forthright with one's physician. A sprain can later develop into arthritis and at present my wrist is so sore I can't sign my name without pain.

Just Blue

Exactly, do not fabricate injuries. Be honest and forthright with one's physician. A sprain can later develop into arthritis and at present my wrist is so sore I can't sign my name without pain.
You should see a Doctor. It could be a slight fracture or tendon damage.

I slipped while holding my newborn daughter and landed flat on my bottom. Went to my PCP, he did an ex-ray and nothing was found broken. He gave me a script for Percocet and sent me on my way. BUT!! (no pun intended) the horrible pain persisted and a month after the fall I went to get an MRI. Turns out I has a coxic (sp?)fracture that didn't show on the ex-ray. Not much you can do except wait for it to heal and pain management. A broken bum takes forever to heal by the way. :(

john6185

Thank you for your replies, I don't want to belabor what happened to me and afterward, but to me every "owie" associated with the accident isn't worth a Doctor's visit but the wrist certainly is worthwhile. I knew I had injured it during the accident because my right arm was thrown around and hit the dash and knocked out the a/c vents, lacerated the thumb and affected the shoulder. I have made an appointment for tomorrow, thank you all!

john6185

One final comment, in Oklahoma the minimum insurance on an auto is $25,000 Death or injury for one person, $50,000 if more than one person was injured and $25,000 for property damage (25-50-25). I have $100,000-$300,000-$100,000 and my insurance is paying for our injuries up to $10,000 and then going after the at fault insurance company for reimbursement. The initial ER visit was around $22,500.00 so that ate the $10,000 up quickly. The at fault adjuster said to file against my Uninsured Motorist Coverage (I never heard of this) The other guy doesn't want me to know how much coverage he has and I'm wondering, my total bills shouldn't exceed $30,000 I would imagine-so how will this work out? I don't want get into any lawsuit at all, just let the insurance cover the expenses-heck, I don't even want an attorney unless Farmers gets very uppity and aggressive toward me refusing to pay the medical bills etc.
With the at fault driver's minimum insurance will that cover the $30,000? The way I look at it, $50,000 for two persons it would. What do you think? I certainly don't want to be left with a $10,000 medical bill when this thing is over nor do I want to make a killing from Farmers.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">