• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rear ended in california

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



california--i was rear ended recently while stopped at a light in my 2000 honda civic. the unibody was buckled in the rear from the impact. the repair shop had to tweak the frame to flaten out the buckled floor. i was told that the unibody frame was made to buckle on impact to absorb the shock as a safety standard. the total cost of repairs was just under 3k and the insurance company has decided to fix the car and not total it. i have two questions:

1. once the unibody has been buckled and the metal has been fatigued, doesn't that make it less safe then before the car was hit? if so, can i demand that a new unibody be installed or that they total the car?

2. since the car was only purchased in september of 2000 and relatively new, can i seek compensation for depreciation of the vehicle due to it being in a major accident?

thanks for any and all help.


Senior Member
My response:

Not if you signed a "Property Damage Release". If you did, it's all over.

You should have gotten a statement from the manufacturer concerning your issues, and presented the same to the insurance company. You probably would have made a strong point in favor of your position, and eventually received what you wanted.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential