• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear ended, insurance is - uh well

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jul

What is the name of your state? Texas

On June 17 I was rear ended while stopped at a red light. There were 3-4 cars in each lane. The insurance company has accepted liability. However, I Have been having to fight for any (which has been very little) progress made.

My rear bumper was pushed into the body of the car on the right side, and to the body on the left side. Also, the gear indicator on the dash broke.

I took my car to one of their preferred shops. (one in which they do not require you to make an appointment with an adjustor first) The insurance company also approved a rental car from that location while I was there. Due to errors by the insurance company my car was in this shop for about 20-22 days. The insurance company keyed in the wrong location for the shop so they were looking for it in the wrong town for a week when an adjustor called to ask why I hadn't taken my car to the shop yet. Then a over a week later I was notified to pick it up because the insurance company was not authorizing repairs. I immediately contacted the insurance company however my claim rep had left for the day. The next day when I got a hold of her I asked her what the problem was. She said no problem they just ordered the parts for my car that morning. Needless to say, I blew! Anyway, when I was finally informed my car was ready and the bumper was fixed (not the gear indicator which we had many many discussions over) I picked up my car. The only repair made was that they sent my bumper off to be reconditioned and rechromed. The bumper was still against the car exactly as it was after the accident. All the service rep for the body shop had to say was that if I had a problem contact the insurance company. (which had already closed) i contacted the insurer the next day, the maintained that all damage caused by the accident had been repaired. I demanded an adjustor come to my house and was denied. I went to my agent (same insurance company as the one covering the claim) He basically said repairs looked good to him that he would be happy with them and that I was being unreasonable about an "old car" My car is 17 years old. However, the insurance company had the option to total or make repairs to bring it back to the condition it was before the accident and choose to repair.

I took my car to several shops including the dealership who informed me my bumper shocks had calapsed

After a little over a week, they finally agreed to send a readjustor out who confirmed that I needed the bumper shocks and fillers for the bumper, but who still maintained that the gear indicator was not a result of the accident.

At this point the insurance company has offered a check for about $270 to have to bumper shocks replaced and said it was my responsibilty to prove the indicator was the result of the impact.

I believe the insurance company is responsible for providing another rental car while repairs are made. Proving the indicator was not accident related (can't be done, it was working immediatly before being hit) However I can't find any information which will prove that it was. And shops? you mention that it is contested by insurance and they become very disinterested very quickly.

I have fought with them practically every day since the accident, but I am determined to somehow force financial responsibility on their part.

Oh, and before leaving the service company I demanded copies of everything that was in my file. By mistake, they happen to give me a note which stated Reps name, phone number, repair bumper only. No More!!!

40+ plus day since accident, damages which total approx. $1000.00 yet to be paid. Makes me wonder what battle I am up against when I file the injury claims on neck, shoulders, and back.

Any help - advice would be GREATLY appreciated

Edit - Sorry is so long, but this is actually the very short version

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">