• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear-ender & DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vasser

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

Yesterday afternoon I rear-ended someone who was arrested for DUI at the scene. As soon as it happened I said, to myself, that no matter what happened it's my fault by law. Does his arrest have any effect on this situation?

The details:

My car is behind his car as we are both waiting to turn right. I'm watching the approaching traffic and several cars are signaling to turn to their right. I look in front to see if he is going to go, he does. I look to my left again to make sure it's still clear, it is. As I start to go, I look ahead and he has slammed on his brakes. I then also slam mine but obviously not in time. There is only minor damage.
Also FYI, he did not present any ID, proof of insurance or registration. Only saw a bill of sale (maybe someone else's car) from a dealership that had info on it. Also, he had his 3 yr old son with him, so sad :( .

Ok, let me have it, wait let me get body armor first. ;)

Thank you

BelizeBreeze

vasser said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

Yesterday afternoon I rear-ended someone who was arrested for DUI at the scene. As soon as it happened I said, to myself, that no matter what happened it's my fault by law. Does his arrest have any effect on this situation?
No.
The details:

My car is behind his car as we are both waiting to turn right. I'm watching the approaching traffic and several cars are signaling to turn to their right. I look in front to see if he is going to go, he does. I look to my left again to make sure it's still clear, it is. As I start to go, I look ahead and he has slammed on his brakes. I then also slam mine but obviously not in time. There is only minor damage.
Also FYI, he did not present any ID, proof of insurance or registration. Only saw a bill of sale (maybe someone else's car) from a dealership that had info on it. Also, he had his 3 yr old son with him, so sad :( .
you were following too closely, not paying attention and his being under the influence, while may be a mitigating circumstance, does NOT mitigate your fault.
Ok, let me have it, wait let me get body armor first. ;)

Thank you
Not really in the mood. This is pretty straightforward. File a claim with your insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">