• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rearended by driver with suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



l was rear ended by a driver who had a suspended license and he begged me not to call the cops for fear of going to prison. l figured that if he went to prison that would diminish my chances of getting any payment so l foolishly agreed. We signed an agreement which stated that he was liable to pay for my damages ($380) and he agreed to pay by July 10th (we had a witness). l have been trying to contact him but he apparently moved, left his job and went to Orlando (l live in Gainesville, Florida). Can l still go to the police with our written agreement to presss charges? Can l file a civil suit without knowing the exact address of the defendent? IS it worth pursuing this case at all? Thanks in advance!



I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Okay, well, obviously I don't think if you reported it it would have made a difference payment wise because insurance coverage usually doesn't cover drivers on a suspended license.

Okay, I think you need to hire an accident litigation attorney who can track him down or his assets for you. Try attorneypages.com or your state bar to locate an accident attorney.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential