• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reassignment of parenting time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?Arizona
My exhusband went out of state without notifying me and left my 10 year old with someone else. This is supposed to be his parenting weekend. The 10 year old doesn't know where she is(address or phone number wise), but has her cell phone and called me hysterical a little bit ago, then the phone cut off. Apparently, he went to California and just left the 10 year old behind with someone she barely knows. I have no idea where my child is and when I try to contact her back her phone is obviously turned off because it goes straight to voice mail. I don't know what to do. There is no first right of refusal clause in my custody agreement, but can he just arbitrarily reassign his parenting time like this, especially when I have no idea where the child even is? We are supposed to be sharing joint custody.


Senior Member
Yes he can. It's her visitation time and he can leave the child with anyone he deems worthy.

However, under the specific circumstances that you described, it seems you have at least grounds to petition the court for supervised visitation in the future.

When does the child return?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential