• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received 60 day notice to vacate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AsIWept

My husband and I have lived in a rental for 7 years. We recieved a 60 day notice to vacate on January 3rd. We decided to buy instead of rent and talked to the landlord and he gave us a verbal agreement to let us stay to give us time to come up with a down payment on a house but he is now pressuring us to buy the house we rent. We really aren’t interested in buying this home because it needs so much work and I can buy a different house with everything I want for the price he is asking and not have to do the work ourselves. My questions are with a verbal agreement to stay month to month can he tell us to just move if we don’t buy his house? He isn’t a very nice person and we think the only reason he agreed to let us stay is to try to talk us into buying this house. If he accepts the money order for the rent on March 1st does he have to reissue another 60 day notice? Originally he stated we could stay as long as it took to get a down payment but we are afraid that when he finds out we aren’t buying his house he will get vindictive. He has called my husband several times inquiring about how much we have down, what we were approved for and if we’ve asked our parents to help with the down payment. He has also stopped by unannounced several times. It’s gotten to the point of harassment. Thank you

Just Blue

My husband and I have lived in a rental for 7 years. We recieved a 60 day notice to vacate on January 3rd. We decided to buy instead of rent and talked to the landlord and he gave us a verbal agreement to let us stay to give us time to come up with a down payment on a house but he is now pressuring us to buy the house we rent. We really aren’t interested in buying this home because it needs so much work and I can buy a different house with everything I want for the price he is asking and not have to do the work ourselves. My questions are with a verbal agreement to stay month to month can he tell us to just move if we don’t buy his house? He isn’t a very nice person and we think the only reason he agreed to let us stay is to try to talk us into buying this house. If he accepts the money order for the rent on March 1st does he have to reissue another 60 day notice? Originally he stated we could stay as long as it took to get a down payment but we are afraid that when he finds out we aren’t buying his house he will get vindictive. He has called my husband several times inquiring about how much we have down, what we were approved for and if we’ve asked our parents to help with the down payment. He has also stopped by unannounced several times. It’s gotten to the point of harassment. Thank you
What state?

AsIWept

He already verbally agreed to let us stay past March 1st. My question is when accepts the money order and cashes it does it void the 60 days notice to vacate? Does he have to reissue a new one? He is pressuring us to buy the house we rent. We almost have all the down payment required to get the approval on the loan.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He already verbally agreed to let us stay past March 1st. My question is when accepts the money order and cashes it does it void the 60 days notice to vacate? Does he have to reissue a new one? He is pressuring us to buy the house we rent. We almost have all the down payment required to get the approval on the loan.
No it doesn't void the 60 days notice. And March 3 is past March 1. If you stay part of a month you pay for the whole month. When does your lease end or are you month to month?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No it doesn't void the 60 days notice. And March 3 is past March 1. If you stay part of a month you pay for the whole month. When does your lease end or are you month to month?
I disagree - if the LL accepts rent for March, then the 60 day notice is void (here in CA).

ETA: In essence, a new month-to-month tenancy is created.

AsIWept

We have always been month to month. He gave the notice on January 3rd and it states March 3 is the end of the 60 days. We are paying rent next Thursday February 28th. We are so close to being able to buy our own home but we have run short on time. So hopefully he won’t renege on the verbal agreement.

FarmerJ

A option may be that you can put about every thing you own into self storage and stay with friends or relatives for a short time so you can be out by march 3rd and if you had not started packing non essentials such as your xmas and winter holiday things it certainly would be easier to have those things ready to go as well as your so called summer things too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">